The Enhancer | Teen Ink

The Enhancer

September 8, 2023
By Anonymous

            Aching from the impact of the sudden crash against a wall, Eden weakly got up and shook off the pain.  She was a superhero with an indestructible white suit that protected her from anything evil dared to throw at her, a holographic mask covered her face all except her dark brown eyes matching her curly brown hair tied back neatly into a ponytail ready for action.  And right now, she was in a fight once again with one of her foes who continued to cause disruption in the night starting fires.  “Ok, my turn!” She shouted eagerly and then just like that in a blink of an eye she used her aura powers to boost herself onto the stained wall in the dark alleyway and shoots upward onto a roof of an old, abandoned motel.  As she searched for her evil arch nemesis Flamethrower, Eden has yet to capture Flamethrower and reveal her identity.  The Flamethrower has caused mayhem many nights with her fire powers.  The stars looked down to Eden in the breezy Houston night air they glisten a shiny gleam, helping her view Flamethrower elevating through the streets with her fire powers surging from her fiery scarlet boots acting as a jetpack searching for something.

            Moving in such a clandestine manner the enhancer crept slowly towards the direction of the Flamethrower being a quiet timid muskrat slowly ascending into the air with her gradient aura powers. With great ascendancy a multi- colored boost of aura, she charged towards the Flamethrower with such force and caught a hold of her by her scarlet hood the Flamethrower used her fire power to heat up the part of fabric that Eden had a grip of to force her to yelp in such agony and extricate her hold. After jolting up and jumping backwards to create more distance she quickly disappeared, and an abrupt burnt mark left where she once stood that’s how she usually escapes by a sudden flame teleportation method which left the enhancer on the move and search for her all over again. “Dang It I was so close this time.” Eden snapped in disappointment. “I just can’t get a clue of who she is.” Eden did not know why she was chosen to get powers, but she knew she’d use them for good and to end the Flamethrower’s mad rampages in the night, which is why she was so hooked on finding out who her nemesis was behind that ruby mask.      She used her aura boost to float back home in her house through her bedroom window, she was deep in thought about who the Flamethrower could be and if she could be acting alone. Eden made sure to be quiet enough to not wake her twin brothers or her mom who had to be up for work soon. Eden hadn’t told her family or her best friend what she did at night she had to sneak in and out but, keeping her secret at home was easy because the twins went to preschool and her mom had been busy with work all the time so she didn’t notice when Eden would sneak out, and her best friend Hannah had been acting strangely lately she seemed more tensed and tired recently. Eden knew very little about her mom’s job she would always avoid the topic, but whatever she was doing must have been time consuming as it kept her from seeing her often. She did notice however that her mom had some weird symbol charm pin on her bag she never saw before, but she didn’t think much of it. Eden was exhausted after dealing with the Flamethrower’s tyranny, keeping up with school, and on top of that she had to decide what to get Hannah for her upcoming birthday she hasn’t been herself, so she wanted to make her feel better with a nice present she’ll enjoy. Keeping her identity secret in school was bad fortune unlike home thanks to students and overnight watchers wondering about the mysterious hero at night, she just had to be more careful these days. Just when she was getting settled for bed, she noticed a sudden bright fiery red flickering light outside her window. She peeked her head outside of the window and there she was! The Flamethrower was suddenly there, but she didn’t look energized as she did before she looked tired, and her flames were flickering away in  atrophy in a quick flash her flames disappeared and her scarlet red costume and mask went away leaving her in normal attire. Eden squinted her eyes for a closer look and caught a glimpse of her face, she looked young around Eden’s age, then noticed how familiar she looked in those clothes and by her sandy blonde hair and then that’s when it hit her the Flamethrower was her best friend, Hannah! She stubbled back in utter shock and fell onto her bed. There was no way her best friend in the whole wide world had been her enemy this whole time, she felt dazed and confused. “I need to find out what’s going on.” Eden climbed out of her window and called out to Hannah from the black tiled roof top “Hannah is that you?” she asked hesitantly. Hannah looked up in shock “Eden what are you doing here?” Hannah asked frantically She seemed panicked and worried her messy hair was dancing in the cool wind “This is my house... Where are you headed?” Eden asked. “Um I went out for a run…yea a quick run.” Hannah said in an unsure manor as if she was trying to convince herself more than trying to convince Eden. “Ok tell me the truth I saw everything, I know you’re the Flamethrower Hannah, “No I’m not! I have no clue what you’re talking about Eden! Her voice was a loud lioness roar of quick defense as she backed away a bit. “It’s ok Hannah you don’t have to be worried you’re my best friend you can tell me what’s going on.” Eden pleaded until Hannah finally gave in. “Fine but you better not tell anyone what I’m going to tell you” Hannah said very austerely. “I won’t I promise” Eden said, Hannah climbed on the top of Eden’s home on the rooftop and sat next to Eden by her windowsill. “Ok as you know I am the Flamethrower, I don’t know why I was given these powers, but I know my goal is to completely wipe out the Enhancer and everything she stands for so I can return to having a normal life. Eden had felt like she had been punched right in the stomach after hearing such words from her best friend she swallowed a lump in her throat and knew what she needed to do “Then it’s too bad you will never reach that goal.” Eden mumbled but loud enough for Hannah to hear. “What do you mean?” Hannah questioned confused. “I’m the Enhancer and I can’t let you do such a thing!” Eden triumphed passionately “How could you go around trying to destroy the city every night with your flames!” Eden shouted.

            “You’re the enhancer?!” Hannah repeated spooked “Look En- I mean Eden I had no choice, ok?!” Hannah yelled in frustration “Why? Why didn’t you have a choice?!” Eden questioned clearly upset. Because my leader commanded me to! Hannah shouted “Who? Who is your leader?” Eden shouted losing patients. She couldn’t lie she was upset with her friend for shamelessly causing damage to the city night after night and terrorizing innocent people. “It’s your mom, ok?!” Hannah blurted; she covered her mouth with immediate regret after what she just said to her best friend of fifteen years. “What…did you just say?” Eden asked breathlessly in a state of shock.  Then it all made sense the creepy charm she saw on her mom’s bag, the suspicious behavior from Hannah and her mom she couldn’t believe after all this time it was them.  Just then she felt a sharp pain in her neck and her vision got blurred she fainted,  before she could collapse to the ground she was caught, but not by Hannah she was caught by her mother who threw the tranquilizer gun she once had in her hand aimed at the back of Eden to the side.


The author's comments:

I am very interested in reading, and also enjoy art so I can't wait to see what creative pieces I create here.