Duel Under the Rising Sun | Teen Ink

Duel Under the Rising Sun

By Madace26 BRONZE, San Pedro, California
Madace26 BRONZE, San Pedro, California

The sun was rising over the hills, shining down its blood-red hue over two approaching warriors. One wore a deep, grassy green samurai armor with a light red scarf wrapped around his neck, with his helmet fastened with a light red half mask made of metal which had a mustache. His sword was the same grassy green all around, except for the suba ring which was gold and the tsuka-ito wrapping and sageo, which was the same light red as his scarf. He thumbed his sword out of it's sheath, which revealed an etching on the beautiful blade, which said Jurojin. He eyed his rival as he came out of the shadows wearing an all dark red outfit and coat that went over his black light armor. On his head he wore a red straw hat and on his face he wore a red half mask which had fangs. His hat tipped so you couldn't see his eyes. His katana was a bright red, going from the sheath to the handle, but the suba ring, sageo, and tsuka-ito wrapping was black. As he approached, he also thumbed his blade, which revealed an etching which said Kaizen. Kaizen came to a halt a few meters away from the samurai Jurojin and stated in a worried but light tone, “It doesn’t have to be this way, Jurojin.” Jurojin’s answer was immediate. “It does, Oni-child, you broke the samurai code. Then, you run around as a dastardly ronin. Where did all the honor we taught you go, boy?” Kaizen stood silent for a few seconds before he answered. “I did what I thought was right. If I didn’t, people would have suffered.” Jurojin let Kaizen finish. “I understand why, but no matter the moral reason, or the unimaginable horror you went through, matters now. When you become samurai, you swear by the oath of honor and sometimes die by it and you should have died by it, but you didn’t. I’m sorry, boy, we both know the rules…if you want to die with redemption, then die a warrior's death and allow me to end you the proper way, but if you wish to live and fight for your life every day, then you’ll have to kill me first.” Both stood silent before they fully drew their blades and prepared. Kaizen said in an off-tone, “If it has to be this way, then all I can do is fight.'' In an instant, both charged and clashed blades. They entered a lock between swords before they both pushed off and jumped back. Kaizen held his blade low near his left thigh with the sharp end facing up. Jurojin held his above his head and swung downwards while Kaizen, with a quick movement, brought the sword upwards and sideways to parry the attack and go around him. Jurojin immediately swung quickly around himself horizontally and glanced at Kaizen's armor. Kaizen then turned to Jurojin but re-sheathed his sword. Jurojin looked puzzled, and then a look of understanding went through his eyes and he re-sheathed his. “So, it comes down to a stand off then, boy. We’ll see who’s faster on the draw.” Kaizen stayed silent and listened to the sound of the birds as the rising sun loomed over the treetops. The sun’s light eventually made it to the warriors’ shadows. It touched the top of their shadows and in an instant, the warriors dashed and both swung horizontally. Both stood for a few seconds. The heavy smell of blood hit both of their noses but the only one still standing to smell the aroma was Kaizen. He turned to the dead warrior and asked in a sad tone, “Kami, please lead him to another life filled with even more happiness. This shouldn’t have been how it all ended.” The sun loomed over Kaizen Roanoku, the Oni-child, who comes from the house of the rising sun in its blood-red glory to tell all that blood was spilled tonight. 

This piece was written with the thought that the fight would follow the shadows from the rising sun and end with the rising sun (a red rising sun over a battlefield is said to indicate a bloody battle.)