Lost | Teen Ink

Lost

December 15, 2023
By imawholeking BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky
imawholeking BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Thunder roared in the night sky shaking the ground beneath Lexi’s feet. The trees felt ten feet taller than they were as they swallowed her. Voices of her past echoed through the forest; with no seeming escape.

Everywhere she turned only led her into an endless circle. Exhausted, Lexi leaned up against a tree pulling her legs to her chest; she began to cry. Eventually, Lexi fell asleep giving up on ever being found.

The following day, Lexi brushed her hair out of her eyes. She sat up realizing she was still not found. Lexi had to escape no matter what. Getting on her feet, she started wandering looking for a way out. Walking seemingly in an endless spiral of twists and turns, Lexi heard what she hoped was someone and not her imagination. An uneasy feeling crept down her spine. Was it wise to follow a strange voice? Of course not, but Lexi was desperate to escape. 

The voice called Lexi’s name. 

“Lexi! Where are you? Lexi!?” The voice called getting louder each time. Could this strange voice be Lexi’s savior? Or her demise? Only one way to find out. . .    

“Lexi!” 

With each step, the voice grew louder; leading Lexi deeper into the forest; deeper into her fear. 

“Lexi! Can you hear me? Lexi, answer me!” The voice kept calling out. As she got closer the voice became clearer, clear enough to make out who it was. Ben. 

“Ben!? Ben! Is that you? Lexi cried. Her mind began racing. Would she finally escape? Would she be saved from all this misery?  Or would she come to a tragic end following a voice of whom she thought was someone? Still, only one way to find out.

Chasing after her hope, Lexi followed Ben’s voice deeper, and deeper. Sprinting past the trees that seemed to burn a hole right through her. Ben’s voice called out again. Lexi’s lungs tightened, and her vision blurred; all this running was exhausting.