The letter In A Bottle | Teen Ink

The letter In A Bottle

Today is a Friday, the best day, summer is in full swing and it's the day we set out to explore the island of Aruba. “What to do first?” I think after telling my brother to hurry up so we can get a move on. Aruba is known for its culture as one Happy Island. But also its beaches as they have some of the most beautiful well kept in the world. And those beaches are what we are seeing today.
Woosh the wind hits my face as we approach eagle beach, and commence our journey. One of the things I always do first is walk the beach In whatever direction looks more compelling and where I feel an impetus force wanting me to go. After I made my arbitrary decision to walk towards the man made rocky erosion wall off in the distance I began to notice shiny glares coming off of the sand. With my interest peaked, I walk straight to it with haste not wanting a second to waste. As I lean in I pick up a shinny glass bottle laying in the sand. Pop! The bottle opens. I eagerly toss the cork to the side, while shuffling the delicate piece of paper in my hands. “What could it be?” I thought “a sos, a treasure?” My mind going in all directions like a flock scattering to a loud noise, trying to guess what it could be. As I carefully unrolled the letter its delicate edges felt the whispers of untold ancient secrets and the splattered ink on its surface seemed to hold the weight of untold lost stories. Like my dreams coming true as a kid, the words revealed themselves to me. 12.4540° N latitude and 69.9673° W longitude. “Coordinates? to what?” I thought. To hidden treasure, a breathtaking sight or sunken ship. It felt as if I was at the foot of a massive door and the little piece of paper was the hidden key.