Flowers | Teen Ink

Flowers

October 21, 2009
By Anonymous

It was a foggy cold winter morning in Brooklyn. I didn’t have nice enough clothes to get a job. I am very poor, so I have to sell flowers to make money. All I had on was jeans with lots of holes in them, and a t shirt. I felt like I was freezing to death. I didn’t have enough money to buy a jacket. It being so cold outside I didn’t think many people would come out to buy flowers. I rarely even made enough money to buy food. After I would sell flowers I sit on the sidewalk asking for money. Usually, no one ever gives me change, just every once in a while. Luckily, some people came to the town, so I sold most of the flowers I had picked the day before. Most of the day had past and I hadn’t had anything to eat. I stopped to buy some bread to eat. I didn’t know how much longer I could last selling flowers, I didn’t make enough to even buy a good lunch, or a decent pair of jeans. I needed a real job, but didn’t know how to get it.
One day while selling flowers a rich man walked by me, and said “how long have you been doing this?” I replied “my whole life”. “Are you making good money?” the man said, “not at all”. We kept talking for awhile and he said that he would give me a real job at a bank, and as soon as I made enough money, buy a new set of clothes. I didn’t even think about the offer for two seconds. I said yes, of course I would love to. So, he said to meet him in the same spot tomorrow morning and he would take me to the bank and get started. We met the next day, I got the job. After about six months I became more wealthy than I had been and was able to buy clothes, good food to eat, and a nice place to live.