Portrayer Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

Portrayer Chapter 1

February 21, 2010
By Ambie BRONZE, Millville, Pennsylvania
Ambie BRONZE, Millville, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If it can be dreamed, it can be done."


It was a cold, gloomy day on Fear Hills. The wind sang silent songs as the trees fidgeted silently in the dark. I stood on my porch as I watched silently as the occasional blackbird attempted to pick at the young buds on the trees. Today would be considered a good day. Normally not a bird dare fly near my home, and today the weather was brighter.

I tightened my robe around me as a cold chill ran down my spine. It was 10 past 9 and the sun was dawning. I was tired, but I forced myself awake. After the sun had completely fallen, I went inside my log cabin doors and locked them tightly. I had several locks on my door in fear of what was out there. I could hear the howls of the wolves and the cries of the people-or was it my imagination. Some might say I have cabin fever, but I say I am just crazy. I have been alone in this secluded mountain; The nearest road or person is over 9 miles away from here.

I have been alone since my parents died 5 years ago. Some would say that it is not right for a 13 year old to be living alone; let alone in the forest. I say there is nothing wrong, I have grown used to the mountainous conditions and secluded arrangements. I crossed the room to my bed and lay down, drowning out the mixed sounds. I peered out my window expecting the worst, but there was nothing but trees. I shut of the light by my bed, and lay my head down. I searched the ceiling with my eyes for the occasional spider-I hated spiders, it was weird because I lived in the forest, but I have a bad case of Arachnophobia. I drifted to sleep slowly, nothing to fear but my dreams.


I woke up in the middle of the forest, surrounded by my worst fears. A tall beast with claws for hands walked over me and growled as if it was warning me away. I tried to scream, even move, but I felt only as if I was stuck in cement. I peered around and saw that I was being surrounded by huge-furry beasts and these tall monsters with fangs. I was scared out of my mind, but how could this be real? I looked in front of me and saw a light figure come toward me. It made me feel warm inside-safe. As it approached me slowly, I noticed that it was a beautiful woman with long red hair, a pale face and she was wearing a long gown. When she was right at my feet, I studied her closely. She was pale with red lips, long limbs and a skinny figure. She came close to my ear and whispered, “Willow, wake up.”


I screamed as I awoke, scared, but slightly relieved that it was only a dream. It felt so real, and the woman; I knew her, but I did not know where I knew her from. I put a hand on my head and wiped away sweat beads. I walked to the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. My face was red and my brown eyes were surrounded by red. I turned on the water faucet and bent down to wet my face. I splashed my face with cold water and brought my face up to look at it in the mirror. I screamed and stared at my disfigured face in the mirror. My face was contorted with red eyes. My face was white and an evil smile took over my face.

I wiped my eyes and stared at the mirror, my face was back to normal, but I had tears in my eyes. My heart felt as if it would beat out of my chest. I was so scared that I ran to my bedroom and rocked myself to sleep in the corner.