The Blanket | Teen Ink

The Blanket

August 9, 2010
By JorJorBinks BRONZE, Blah, Oklahoma
JorJorBinks BRONZE, Blah, Oklahoma
4 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
When life gives you lemons you yell at it "Who the heck told you i wanted lemons!"


"Why?" I asked, still confused about this new situation, but my question wasn't answered. All I received was a worried face and a torn-up, tattered and dirt stained blanket. I grabbed it not thinking that something was wrapped inside of it. I started to unfold it, but my sister pushed me and whispered, "Later". I looked at her worried, pale face and knew something important was in it. The rain poured off my hat causing me to wipe my eyes. I heard the roar of the German soldiers' jeep coming down the brick road. My sister gave me a friendly, but worried, wave and ran down the road toward the tunnel that would lead her into Switzerland. I held the blanket tight and watched my sister run to the tunnel. I heard one of the soldiers yell in German to the other. They started pointing and yelling. A couple of the soldiers shot at her but missed. I backed up against the cold, damp wall trying to hide. The edge of the rooftop created a dark shade increasing my chances of not being seen. Then the jeep swerved and drove in her direction. The soldiers pulled out their guns and started shooting. Then the shooting stopped, and the guy driving the jeep yelled something. The jeep was cornering my sister. I held my breath as he got out and walked towards her. The other men in the jeep kept their guns pointed at her. The man grabbed her by the hair and put a set of dirty handcuffs on her. I knew the next move that was coming, she had talked about it. I remember her saying that night in the prison. She whispered in Polish so none of the guards or others would understand. "I'd rather die than get put back in there." I understood how she felt, but we had escaped the war camp and had made it this far. I knew it would break her heart to have gotten this far and then be put back in that camp. She got loose and ran, giving it all she had. The soldiers yelled and began shooting. One shot her in the leg, then another shot her in the arm. Then they drove away leaving her to die in the rain. Once they were out of sight, I ran to her. Keeping the blanket in my arms. She smiled as she looked at my tear filled eyes hovering over her. As if I could read her mind, I lifted her slowly and walked into the tunnel. From here it was a safe journey to Switzerland. She cradled the blanket crying. I asked her what was in the blanket, and she told me to look and see. I stopped and peeked at what was inside and saw a sleeping face. "Meet your new nephew."