Escape | Teen Ink

Escape

By Stormythrone BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska
Stormythrone BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

Nothing is good or bad. Its thinking that makes it so. -Benjamin Franklin

The Darkness closed in around us as we ran through the murk, leaves rustling and twigs snapping under our feet. Every snap was like a gunshot, every rustle, like a dagger sealing our fate. They were after us, and wouldn’t cease until they had us. We were Birds to them, birds that were flying away from a flock of vultures.
Our lungs were on fire, our legs crying out for rest. No. We could not rest. Not on our lives. We were going to make it through this. Or rather, if we didn’t make it through this, nothing good could come from it. Something thudded behind me, and I look back to see her on the ground. Tear lines streaked her cheeks, and it was obvious that it had just now occurred to her. Both of us couldn’t make it out of here. No. This could not be happening. Not like this. Not now. We had done too much to have it end here. We have sacrificed too much to give in now. I was now faced with a deadly decision. What would be the right thing to do? Sacrifice myself for them? That would be the right decision, but the right one isn’t always the easiest to make.
Hounds howled in the distance and my heart dropped to my stomach. I couldn’t out run a dog, let alone my bloody cat Tinker-bell. Without one last look at her, I ran. My decision was stupid and cowardly, it disgusted me. I will never forgive myself for it as long as I live.
My legs thudded against the ground, kicking up dirty and everything else in my way. I didn’t care how much sound I made now. I only cared about getting away. One thought rattled me to no end as I ran like a wild banshee that day. What will I tell them? I cannot lie. If I lied, they would know. Yet, somehow, I cannot tell them the truth. Oh god. What in god’s name and I going to do. I sure have landed myself in a hole this time, and all I’m doing is digging until I hit the other side.
Run. Run away from it all my mind told me, yet I could not. My heart told me differently. If I ran, they would hurt her far worse than that of which they would do to me. Tears flooded my eyes and I opened them wider to make sure they wouldn’t spill. I couldn't do this. Stopping in my tracks, I say a silent prayer, before running back to her.
The dogs couldn’t have reached her by now. I sprinted back, using every ounce of energy I had left trying not to trip over branches and run into trees. Soon, I found myself at her side helping her to her feet. I told her to go, to get out of here. She hesitated, but took off like I had not five minutes ago. “Good-bye Kiir.” I said, with my last breath, before the dogs soon reached me and so did they. A gun fired and pain ripped through my chest. Once, Twice, Three times. Run…

I wrote this in a creative writing class. no idea if I should continue it.

kao-chanu SILVER, Central, Utah
I really liked this, and i thought it was quite organized unlike some of the people who commented. You made a few spelling errors and this; I couldn’t out run a dog, let alone my bloody cat Tinker-bell. i think you meant; I couldn't out run my cat, let alone a dog. it would make more sense that way. anyway i give it a 5 because, with some editing, it could be in the mag :)

AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California

"The reason for your unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason that I have reason to complain of your reason" ~ Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Interesting thought process.  It felt a little cluttered to me though.  And pretty fast paced.

J7X

Stormythrone BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

Thank you all for the reviews.
Ive decided that, with this peice, I will end it here. I honestly have no idea how to continue without wrecking it, so ill be staying in the safe zone with it. Thanks again!

ForeverFelix PLATINUM, Catasauqua, Pennsylvania

Daydreams can be worse than nightmares, but that never stops me.

Continuing this would be difficult...it's excellent ending just where it is, but if you could come up with a great way to make this all flow together with a continuation, it'd be a great story! Maybe make this a prologue? Keep writing xD

Amiee said...

ok, let me rephrase this

i'm saying that it would do okay for a continued story but i like it as a short story too, like as in ending it here. it gives a scent of mystery and powerful meaning if you just end it here, but since i don't know what you will write when you continue, i can't say continuing will be worse then just stopping

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

WOW!! You should definatly continue this!!

ArtemisOwlfeather SILVER, South Pasadena, California

"I am evil. I am evil. I am evil. I do not bounce. I am evil."

Wow! This is exciting, full of emotion, powerful... Continue it! Don't listen to Aimee! She slept with your cousin, y'know!

Amiee said...
wow, pretty powerful and totally worth reading, but my opinion, don't continue it, the story might start to sound boring if you did...my opinion :D