Brave Annabeth | Teen Ink

Brave Annabeth

June 29, 2011
By prettylittlewriter BRONZE, Villa Park, California
prettylittlewriter BRONZE, Villa Park, California
2 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
These violent delights have violent ends.


The enemy soldiers took us by surprise near the River Bluebank. My father and brothers marched with the other men to face the battle. There was chaos all around us. We women and children took cover in the trees but I lost my mother in all the confusion. I thought she would come and find me when the fighting was done, but day turned into night and the forest grew quiet while I hid. I was hungry and cold but still to afraid to leave the shelter of the tree. I stayed hidden in a hollowed out trunk all through the night.

I waited until morning to leave my hiding place. I walked to the river only to find the ground littered with the dead. I tried not to look at their faces or see the blood that spilled on the ground. I had no idea who won the battle, but I was alone. At 12 years old, I had never been without my mother. Now I must find the way home on my own. I began to walk. I stayed hidden when I could, and only came out of the the trees to make sure I was following the right path. I didn’t see anybody else, or hear anything but the sounds of animals in the forest. I wanted to cry or call out for my mother but she wasn’t there and I had to have courage. If I could make it home I would find my mother waiting for me. Or so I hoped.

“Where do you think you’re going?” A gruff voice asked behind me while his hand gripped my neck. My heart thudded in my chest.

“Home,” I answered weakly, scared and hungry. He let go of my neck and I turned to face him. He was a knight, one of my fathers. Relief washed over me.

“The enemy is still about. Your father is dead, but your brothers escaped. I must take you back to your mother before the enemy finds you.” When the knight told me my father was dead, I had to hold in my tears. I didn’t want Sir Pettifer to see me cry. I had to be brave.

It took us three long days to get to Brightwater castle. We had to travel by foot and the days were long. At night, we slept as best we could without a fire. Sir Pettifer said it was to dangerous to light one. When the castle was in view Sir Pettifer reminded me who I was.

“You are Lady Annabeth, a princess of Brightwater castle. If we find your Lady mother here we will be safe again. If the castle has been taken we must stay hidden until we can find your brothers. Do you understand?”

“I understand,” I answered even though I didn’t. How could Brightwater castle be taken? But when we approached we could see an enemy flag flying from the wall . Sir Pettifer and I retreated back to the forest. I would not be going home today.


The author's comments:
This piece was written in a time of my life where I felt lost and confused. I am still to this day. Annabeth reminds me of being brave, how I should be.