Scarlet Coven: Intro | Teen Ink

Scarlet Coven: Intro

By Griffin SILVER, San Bernadino, California
Griffin SILVER, San Bernadino, California

"I'm sorry to be the one to inform you, but your child is on crack."

Princess Dom sits atop her hillside mansion overlooking her peninsula kingdom. She returned to her mansion after a morning at the beach. She must relax after a dip in the Pacific Ocean. She now gathers her candles and crystals. She meditates and focuses her energy. She opens her third eye and thinks aloud. She counts the number of witches recently recruited to her coven.

“Lizzie,” she breathes aloud. “Powerful since puberty. Has almost perfected her shape-shifting ability. Can somehow use her mind to control how others see and hear her. I’ve known her for years. Always been my neighbor, existed firstly as a girl from church. First recruit.” The princess imagines all that she speaks of and even sees visions of where they are now. “Lizzie is scamming money posing as a realtor. Safe.”

“Scarlet the curious botanist,” The princess reminded herself. “Lizzie’s recruit. Shiny, dark-burgundy hair, dark black scarf wrapped around her tiny, pixie-like frame. Was able to create a potion that caused spiritual hallucigenic visions and temporary telepathy. Was even able to imitate Lizzie by performing a magical beauty makeover on herself. Second recruit, currently working on her potion with a small pet frog of hers.”

“Alias: Silver Falcon. First male recruit. Has moderate control of his three abilities of levitation, teleportation, and telepathy. So full of potential and a soul full of compassion. He is a part-time hero and does not come around often. No possibility of earning leadership titles. Third recruit, currently blocking my view of him with his telepathy.”

She smiled with comfort and optimism. She was happy to know that her coven was headed in the proper direction. She was eager to see herself and her coven siblings advance their mystical abilities. Conversely in the back of her mind, she was worried. She knew there was an evil growing. Growing faster than her coven could. She knew that there were people in her kingdom practicing dark magic and recruiting others. She knew they called themselves the Brothers of the Beast, and she knew she had to do everything she could to stop them.

The first in a magical adventure series.