False Prophet | Teen Ink

False Prophet

By Stevo206 BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
Stevo206 BRONZE, Newark, Delaware

False Prophet

“My parents are gone. Why? Why them? Why me? Why must I be left all alone.” Keith cries while sitting on the floor with a picture of his parents and him in his hand. He remembers every single moment of that horrific night. It replayed in his head like a broken record. The blood on the floor. The broken tables and glass. The high pitched screaming of his mother. Everything.

15 years ago on July 29th 1998. 11 year old Keith Leons spends the night at home with his family. “Hey dad can we watch a movie.”
“Sure what movie?”
“Scarface.”
“You’re too young to watch that Keith. It has a lot of killing and blood in it.”
“Pleeeaase Dad.”
“Fine but only because your mother isn’t here.”
Keith’s father Nathan gets a video cassette of  Scarface and puts it into the vcr. They both sit down and watch the movie. They reach the part where Tony Montana is being attacked in his home by a bunch of people. He takes out his M16 rifle and points it at the door. As the movie is playing, Keith’s mother walks in. The door closes shut and a line from the movie echoed through the house, “Say hello to my little friend!”

“Sarah I didn’t know you would be home this early.”
“Slow night at the office so they let me get out early today. So why is our 11 year old son watching a movie with boobs, cursing, cocaine and blood.”
“He wanted to watch it and I thought just watching a movie like this won’t hurt. He’s becoming a young man and we have to respect that.”
As they all look at Keith and then towards the tv. The tv screen shatters out of nowhere. They then turn around and see that there was a hole in the window as well.

“Go upstairs now. Go!” Nathan screams in fear.
“Why what’s wrong.” said Sarah with worry in her voice.
“Just go now! Don’t argue! Just GO!”
Sarah takes Keith to the bedroom upstairs. As they run up the stairs, gunshots begin to pierce through the door. Nathan grabs his Glock 17 pistol out from underneath the coffee table. He starts to shoot out through the window trying to protect his family.  Nathan runs up the stairs after his family. Keith peeks out of the door just to see his father take a shot to the chest and fall back down the steps. He then sees a man dressed in all black with a black mask on. He looks at Keith and points his gun at him while lifting up his mask to reveal his face. Sarah pulls him into the room as the gun fires and blocks the door.

“We have to save your father”. She hides Keith underneath the bed and walks out of the room while locking it. The door is then immediately broken down with his mother crashing through it. The man grabs her and throws her onto the bed. As Keith hears his mother screaming, he hears a silence. A split second later a machete stabs through the bed. Blood begins to drip down the blade. The man pulls the blade out and walks out of the room. Keith comes out from under the bed and sees his mother lying on the bed with blood on her chest. Keith holds her hand and begins to sob uncontrollably. He screams in agony and pain.

Keith hold his picture of his past self and parents and cries. He gets up and puts the picture in his coat pocket. He turns his light off in his apartment and leaves. He locks the door behind him and goes outside in the pouring rain. He carries no umbrella with him because he likes the way the rain feels dripping on his hair and having the water run down his face. It hides his tears. He walks down to the internet cafe down the road. He opens the door and a bell rings. The girl behind the desk greets him.
“Hello Keith. How are you doing today?”
“Not well. Just having an off day Lily. No disrespect but I don't feel like being bothered right now.”
“It’s ok. I understand. Go do your thing. I’ll be here if you need me ok.”, Lilith looks back at her computer and goes back to her business. Keith walks across the room and sits at the computer all the way in the back corner. He has been there so much that it’s basically reserved for him and him only. He takes his seat and turns on the computer. “I cannot think about her. I can’t lose anyone else. I would rather live a life of loneliness then lose another person I care about in this world.”

He logs on and opens up his bookmarks and saved files. He is looking into the case of his parents murder. He has been looking into this case ever since he was 15 years old. The case was closed because there was barely any evidence on the murder left behind and the evidence that was there was inconclusive. He looked through everything on it and found nothing. He puts his head down into his hands and sighs. “Dammit why can’t I find anything. There has to be something that was overlooked or forgotten.” He turns off his computer and leaves the cafe. He hails a cab and gets inside. He tells the man the address and begins to drive.

He arrives at his location and looks up. It is his old home. The home where his parents were murdered by a deranged man. He walks inside the abandoned house. He heads up the stairs and walks into his room. He opens the door slowly only to see the room in the same condition it was left in. Destroyed and bloody. There was still drops of dried blood on the floor. He puts his head down and walks away. He walks down the steps and sees a glare of something in the fireplace. He walks towards it and digs through the 15 year old wood. He pulls out a key. He takes the key and goes into his fathers office. He looks towards his old desk and sees three drawers on the side of the desk. Keith puts in the key on each drawer and pulls out all of the old dusty files and lays them on top of the old cracked wooden desk. He sits down and grabs the first folder. He blows the dust off and begins to read. He feels that maybe there could be something in his fathers files that could show why he was murdered and an answer to who it was.

Keith is there for hours reading his fathers work. He grabs the last folder which held a notebook on the inside. He looks at the cover and it says False Prophet. He slowly opens the book and begins to read across each line of notes. 20 mins passed. Keith drops the notebook. The book hits the floor and dust flies upward. Keith grabs his stuff with great speed and walks out of the house. He walks into the local convenient store and takes a newspaper. “Arnold Mathews. Successful businessman becomes even more wealthy. He states that he will use this newfound wealth to help the city. He will make a speech later tonight to show off his true plans for this glorious city.”, Keith closes his fist tight and crumples up the paper. He rushes out of the store. He looks towards an old parking lot and sees a bunch of cars still parked.

He hops over the fence and looks at the cars. He looks at a solid black sedan. He balls up his fist and punches the glass. His hand is cut and dripping blood. He takes off his coat and puts it in the passenger seat and begins to hotwire the car. The engine turns over and the car starts. Keith tears a piece of cloth off of his shirt and wraps his hand with it. He puts the car in drive and leaves the lot.

He makes it to his apartment. He steps out of the car and speed walks inside. The door unlocks. The door slams shut with a loud bang. He rushes over to his closet and pulls out a large thin crate. He unlocks the crate and begins to stare at its contents. He pulls out a pair of two Glock 17 pistols, a 53 centimeter katana, and a black outfit with a bulletproof vest. He slams the crate closed and picks it up. He yanks his door open and leaves without even locking the door after it slams shut.

“I finally found out who he is. I can finally make that murderer pay.”, Keith gets into the car and throws the crate in the back. He drives off and begins to turn on the radio. “ Arnold Mathews has just arrived at the city bank and is preparing for his speech. In around thirty minutes we will hear his wonderful plans for this city.” Keith floors it and begins to make his way to the bank.

He slams on his brakes and comes to a complete stop and leaves the car with his crate. He goes into an old building not to far from the bank and heads up the stairs. He reaches the rooftop where he opens his crate once more. He pulls out a L96 sniper rifle. He sets the bi-pod in the ledge of the roof. He sits down on one knee and waits. He feels the sweat running down his forehead. The cool breeze in the air. His hair waving in his face. He grabs the necklace left inside the box. “Lord please forgive me. I am willingly breaking one of your most sacred laws. I do this not only for me but for the good of the people. This monster must not have his way. I only ask that you may forgive me for this.”

He adjust his scope. He waves his hair out of his face. He kisses his necklace with a cross pendant. He raises the rifle and closes his left eye. He moves the rifle towards the podium. He sits there and waits. 20 minutes pass by and the crowd begins to get quiet. Keith whispers to himself. “There you are. Game over.” . Arnold steps up to the podium and waves to his crowd. The crowd claps and shouts his name out. The crowd silences. Arnold taps the mic multiple times. Keiths heart beats rapidly. It was quiet enough to where you could hear a clock.
Tic…
Toc…
Tic…
Toc…
BANG!!!
The sound of a gun fills the air. The silence was broken. Broken to pieces. Arnold flies back and falls away from the podium and off the stage. Security run towards the stage. They see Arnolds arm gushing blood from the shoulder. Security then rushes him to the closest vehicle and get him out of there. Keith then rushes down the building with weapons in hand. 3 police officers are at his car and they spot him. “FREEZE! Put your hand behind your head!”

Keith pulls his two pistols out of his coat and shoots at the officer. The gunfire keeps going on and on.
Bang!
Bang!
Bang! It doesn’t stop. Keith then jumps over the trash can he took cover behind and starts to shoot the officers. He shoots one in the shoulder and chest. Another in the leg. And the last one he rushes up to him. He punches him in the stomach and then kicks him down to the ground. He punches the officers face over and over and over. When he stops his brutal attack he picks up his equipment and puts it in the crate. He tosses it in the backseat and enters the car.

“I’m almost there. Just a little more and I will have my revenge.” He speeds off in the car and drives around the area where Arnold Mathews was shot. He sees nothing but news reporters and policemen. He leaves and decides to go to the nearest hospital. He makes it to Mercy Hospital. Keith puts on a solid black mask to cover his face. He grabs the sword in the passenger seat and loads up his pistols. He puts them both away in their holsters. He throws open the car door. Slams it behind him. He feels the wind blowing on the eye area of his face. He grips his sword tightly. Tight enough to where u can hear the material stretch out. He steps forward. Stares through the clear glass door. The staff in the lobby see him. “ It’s time. There’s no going back. This is for my parents and everyone in this city.” The staff at the front desk try to pick up the phone and call security and the police. Keith raises his gun and shoots the phone out of the persons hand.

Sprinting, he goes into the hospital and starts to see men in suits holding weapons. They look at him and immediately try to shoot him. Keith takes the sword out of its holster and begins to slash away. Blood is splashed against the walls. Puddles are left right next to the bodies. You can hear the gunshots and shouting throughout the building.
“Stop him.”
“Don’t let him through.”
“He’s after Mathews”

Then there is the sound of slashing and stabbing. Some gunshots as well. Then silence. Keith slides the blood soaked blade back in its holster on his back. “Those men were evil just like him. They were willing to die for a monster. A devil in a mans body. They deserved this.” He walks into one of the rooms. He sees Arnold Mathews laying on the bed. Stepping forward, his heart beats rapidly. His breathing becomes heavy.
“You tell me why. Why did you kill them.”
“Who are you. What have I ever done to you.”
“You don’t remember me. The little boy you made watch as his parents were murdered.”
“Oh its you. Wow kid you sure hold a grudge.”
“On someone like you, a grudge would last a lifetime.”
As he pulls himself up slowly Mathews screamed, “Kill me then! That’s what you want isn’t it! But think of this! If you kill me will you be any better than me.”
Keith points his gun at Mathews. Hands shake. Sweat pouring down his face. With a shake in his voice, he says in a low tone, “Yes. Yes it will. Goodbye Arnold Mathews.”

The pistol fires. The loud bang echoes through the room. Then...silence. Nothing but silence. His heart begins to slow. His breathing begins to ease. The sweat stops dripping. Keith swats the sweat away. He leaves the room and goes down the elevator. “It’s over. It’s finally over. Justice has been served.” The elevator dings like a dinner bell. The door slides open. No one is there. He walks outside and opens his car slowly. He sits down and closes his door.

He drives off and goes to the internet cafe. He walks up to Lilith who seems to be locking up the cafe.
“It’s over. The man who killed my parents is dead.”
“Umm. I dont know what to say. I feel happy for you but I’m sad at the same time. I don't think he deserved to die. Nobody does.”
“I see your point.”
“You have no purpose now. You spent so many years trying to find him and out of nowhere he dies. You can’t see him take justice and go to prison.”
“True but I feel that justice was still served.”
“I understand. So what will you do now? From what I know you have no family or friends left.”
“I’ll just live alone and do me. Nothing more. Nothing less.”
“You say that now but you know that’s not what you want for the rest of your life. I’ll give you your time to make up your mind.”
Keith stands for about another 30 seconds and responds nervously, “I think I have made up my mind.”