The Unknown Recruit | Teen Ink

The Unknown Recruit

December 21, 2015
By m-ashreader GOLD, Homercity, Pennsylvania
m-ashreader GOLD, Homercity, Pennsylvania
11 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You never know until you try!" -author unknown


I sighed. Why did simple trips to the little drugstore on the corner of Walnut Street end up lasting twenty minutes.  I checked my watch again. Yep, it’s been twenty minutes that I’ve been waiting here for my prescription.  Another man managed squeeze himself on the bench next to me, making me feel claustrophobic. I got up. There was no way I was waiting twenty more minutes next to an overweight middle age who smelled like a greasy kitchen.

Breathing in the fresh air, I stepped out of the store into the street. Suddenly a strange feeling came over me. The kind of feeling that you’re been watched. I glanced around but everything seemed to be normal. Two businessman where walking into a restaurant, a young mother chasing her children, and teenager riding his skate board down the street.  Something caught my eye. I turned to see a young boy running into a nearby alleyway.

Curious I started walking in the direction he had run. I peered down the dark alleyway when something caught my eye. A small, white piece of folded paper lay on the ground. Leaning down, I picked it up and slowly opened it. “You’re recruited”, it read. I glanced around. Recruited for what? I looked around an eerie feeling plaguing me. I whirled around as a deep voice spoke out behind me “Welcome to the shadow den.”