Jelly Raffeting Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

Jelly Raffeting Chapter 1

By Rachelle-Mae PLATINUM, Gb, New Jersey
Rachelle-Mae PLATINUM, Gb, New Jersey

Chapter 1: Unusual Requirements

I had my whole sophomore year of high school ahead of me. I was 15 years old and I was excited to experience the new energy and vibe I would come across this year. I remember last year - I was just a little freshman. Sure, that’s what everyone says - that when you’re a freshman you’re considered “little”. I believe that freshman year of high school is a time in everyone’s life when they’re not so little. They’re the opposite of that. They’re bigger, smarter, more mature; at least for some of them.
It was early morning, six o’clock. The aggravating sound of my alarm clock on my phone made me pee in my pants. It was the first day of school.
Cardend High was one of the most prestigious private schools in the state. It labels itself as “a comfortable setting for all hard-working individuals”. Students had to be accepted, of course. Everyone submits a well-written essay about why they should be taken in; and a list of all of their countless achievements in secondary school, and grade school - a little too much, right? But the last requirement really ticks me off the most: ‘you must have two winning titles of the Jelly Raffeting Games before you enter 8th grade’. Oh, yes. You read that right. Jelly Raffeting Games.