Complications | Teen Ink

Complications

“Why can’t you just be like your brother.”
“Maybe I don’t want to be.”
“Maybe I don’t want a gay son how about that?”
  I stopped and froze, I looked at my mother then my father and said
           “ I came all this way to find all of you, and you telling me that you don’t want me no more.”
  When I don’t hear any response my look hardened and I gave them both a cold glare.
           “ If that’s the way it’s going to be i’m going to go with Derek don’t come looking for me either.”
I turned around on my heels and walked away I heard my mother start to cry and my father consulting
her but I didn’t turn back I just kept walking. Wait I think that you deserve to know the story from the
beginning. Hi my name is Simon Smith i’m 17 and this is my story how everyone disappeared.

The day started as usual I got up and went into the shower. Got dressed and headed downstairs to the kitchen.
           “Hi mom.” I said
“Hey honey.” She said and kissed my on the cheek.
          “Breakfast is on the table please go wake your brother up.”
I give her look and walked away to the dunge- I mean my brother’s room. His name is Josh and he’s 24.      
He’s so annoying he goes to Harvard and gets good grades, better than mines. My parents always compare
him to me. When I get up the stairs, I knock on the door.
          “ Josh mom said that you have to get up.” I said
          “No dufus go away.” He said
         “Mom said get up NOW.”
He opened the door and punched me in the face. I dropped to the floor holding my nose.
        “ That’s what you get for yelling at me.” He said to me and walked over top of me.
I sat there for a minute and thought about my life then I got up still holding my nose and walked down
the kitchen.
       “Mom, Josh punched me.” I yelled to her
       “Snitch.” Josh whispered
       “That’s enough boys now, Josh why did you punched him?” My mom asked
       “ Because he yelled at me.” He said
       “ That doesn’t excuse you from nothing you know that your brother is smaller and skinnier than you-”
       “ Hey i’m only 5’6 and i’m not skinny I weigh a good weight for my size so…” I said sassily
       “ What I was saying is that you can’t  just do that to him.” My mom said
I huffed out a sigh, he always gets off easy every time. If it was me I would’ve gotten a whole lecture about  
it. Now thinking about it they are so nice to him. I sighed and got up from my untouched food.
       “Where are you going?” My dad asked.
      “To school where i’m more loved.” I said and walked out the door
                      I got in my car my parents got me for my 16th birthday. It’s a beat up jeep but I love it
anyway. I drive to my best friend Holland’s house. When I get there I honk the horn 3 times so that
she knew it was me. She ran outside to the car and gave me a kiss on cheek when she got in.
             “How’s my gay bestie today?” She asked
             “I’m not gay Holland.” I said
             “Hmm yeah right and i’m guy named Holland.”
            “ Shh Holland.” I told her as we arrived at school.
We got out and walked into the school. We continue to walk when I seen him. I stood still as we made
eye contact with each other. It seem like time froze when his blue eyes meet my brown ones. I
snapped out my daydream when Holland bumped my shoulder.
             “Let’s go Simon.” She said
             “Maybe I am gay.” I whispered to myself but of course Holland heard me.
            “I know.”  She says and walks away to our first period.
I went and sat in my regular seat next to Holland and glared at her.
                                                     6 Hours Later
            “ This day was too long I need a long nap.” I say to Holland
            “Yass I do too. Do you think your going to tell your family?” Holland said back
            “About what?”
            “Now that you came to terms that you are gay, don’t you think that you should tell your family about it maybe they would treat you differently if you came out to them.”
I sighed and gave her a pointed look and turned away from her.
         “Okay sorry for bring it up but you need to talk to them.” She said with her hands in a surrender position.
          “Holland.” I said while we walked to our lockers.
She ignored me as she opened her locker.
          “ Come on babes.” I said
She still ignored me so I turned to the final resort
         “Holland look what I got.”
I held up a platter of leftover food from last night. She sniffed the air and looked at me
        “ You lucky that I love you.” She said
       “Always babes.”
She takes the food from my hand and shuts her locker.
       “ Come on buddy I got a bed calling my name” She said
       “Sure darling”
We go outside to my Jeep, get in and speed down the road towards Holland’s house.
      “Simon?” Holland called out
      “Yes.”
      “I love you remember that.”
I looked at her confused.
      “ What do you mean.”
     “I just love you okay and i’m always here for you through whatever.”
     “Okay.” I said.
I pulled up at her house and turn off the engine.
      “Listen Holland what’s going on.”
     “What do you mean.” She said shyly
     “You been I don’t know.” I said shrugging my shoulders.
     “I’m okay Si, I just want you to know that i’m here for you.”
     “Hol just know that i’m here for you too.”
     “Thanks Si, see you tomorrow.” She says as she kisses my cheek.
     “Welcome Hol goodnight.” I said as I hugged her goodbye
     “Goodnight Si.” She said while getting out the seat , she got out and shut the door
I started my Jeep and headed down the road to go home. I pulled up to my house and walked into the
house. When I walked into the house I see that mom, dad, and Josh are at the table talking about something.
But as soon as I got close to them they stop talking about it.
        “Hey guys.” I said while waving my hands at them.
       “Hey honey.” My mom said
      “Hey son.” My dad said
I turn around to go up the stairs when I see something moving in the corner of my eye. I turned
towards the table and see Josh sticking the middle finger up towards me. I just look at him and stick
my tongue out while I stuck the middle finger back at him. I headed up the stairs to my room and
plopped face first on my bed. I sit there for what felt hours thinking about Holland said. Will things
change or stay the same for me? How would they react to such thing I said? Would they show more
love to me now or would they think of me of a screw up? I’m broken out my thoughts by a knock on
my door. I look up to see my mom at the door.
        “Time for dinner sweetie.” She said
       “Okay mom.” I replied back
We made our way down the stairs to the kitchen. I sit down in my regular spot and looked at the food
we were eating today. Right then and there I decided that it was time I come out to my family so I just
blurted it out.
     “I’m gay.”
Everybody in the room stood still it was so quiet that you could her the crickets outside the windows.
My brother was the first to react he started to laugh like it was a joke. My mom looked at him like he
was crazy and my dad looked out of it like he was surprised with what just happened. I sat there
dumbfounded because I didn’t think he would laugh at me and it really hurt me alot.
      “You know what that’s really funny I needed a laugh today Simon.” Josh said.
    “I’m not joking i’m really gay.” I said defensively.
    “It’s okay sweetie i’m really proud that you could come to us” My mom says as she gets up to hug me.
    “Yeah son we proud that you took that big step” My dad says while putting his hand on my shoulder.
We finish eating our dinner and talk like a normal family. Maybe Holland was right coming out might
have been the best thing to do. After dinner I was the dishes and talk to my mom something that I
haven’t done in a while. I honestly feel apart of the family again and i’m glad I am. I go up stairs and
get ready for bed. I get in bed while my mom and dad comes to the door and tell me goodnight. I shut
off the lamp and slip into peaceful sleep.

END OF PART 1