My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

September 27, 2018
By dog1997 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
dog1997 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Brandi. 6 simple letters that make up a name as sweet as brandy in coke. The dictionary definition of my name is “burning wine.” When anybody hears the name Brandi, they immediately think of alcohol. Growing up, people always questioned my name “Like the alcohol?” No. It has a deeper meaning to me than that. In Italian, Brandi means fiery beacon: a strong light that can be seen from far away to help guide. This light can bring hope, the same way my name brings hope and joy into life.


Brandi is much more than the alcohol. It’s as peculiar and uncommon as the number 9. It’s the color yellow. It’s like the sun rising after a dark night. It’s the beacon of hope even in the darkest of times. It’s the joyous feeling of spring after the long winter.


My name came to be because of my great grandmother. She was the one who named me when I was born. Brandon, my brother’s name, and Brandi sounded like perfect sibling names. My mom went with it because my great grandma was not doing well at the time. My mom wanted my great grandma to have a last joy in naming me. This moment brought so much joy in her life and that joy continues to live on everyday through my name.


I don’t particularly love my name. I hate how close it is to my brother’s name. It’s always confusing. My brother and I often both respond to the exclamation of one of our names due to the similarity between the two.


I hate being compared to the alcohol. Hearing the same endless alcohol joke from people gets really old. My name has more meaning to me than being a drink.


In the end I wouldn't want to fully change my name. Although I don’t particularly like my name’s literal definition, it has a special meaning to me since my great grandma named me. My great grandma will always be connected to my name, and I could never change that.  I would never choose to lose the joy that is connected to my name.