Significant | Teen Ink

Significant MAG

To see him, you would wonder, was he significant, something special, or just different? He would surely catch your attention in the sea of students. He could be seen, walking alone or leaning against a wall, watching.

While he wore basically normal clothes, he still stood out. Maybe it was the trench coat he often wore. To him it was a means of protection. To him it was bullet-proof. It kept him safe. Or perhaps it was the matter of his hair. You seldom saw it. He instead crowned himself with either a black hat or a bandana. There was also his shades. Like his trench coat, they brought him safety when he wore them. He could watch from behind them without betraying his thoughts or his reactions.

These things distinguished him from the rest. When you saw him he seemed to be something new or maybe even something unique, but then you decide there must not be much there. He had no large group of friends to surround him, and no girl would grace his side. He caught your eye like a shiny piece of broken glass, and made you stop and look. After a moment's analysis, you realized the shiny thing that caught your attention wasn't gold or silver. It wasn't even copper. It had no apparent worth, and therefore you would walk on, and forget about that piece of glass altogether.

So yes, he was significant, but not really. Significant enough to draw a glance, but not significant enough to make you go over and talk to him, ask him a question, or introduce yourself. He was just significant enough to notice ... and then forget, like one of those things you meant to do, one of those promises you meant to keep.

i love this !

LastChapter said...
LastChapter, Hempstead, New York

(couldn't think of anything better at the time) "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."-Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

i liked it, but maybe add more with why he is compelling to your attention, and then you really see him and don't care anymore. is there something that makes him instantly unwanted by the public? does he just make them uncomfortable with his difference, or is it something else? anyways, good job.

when_we_were_thieves GOLD, Boise, Idaho
Well done. This is added to my favorites.