The Dock | Teen Ink

The Dock

By VRios1 BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
VRios1 BRONZE, Tampa, Florida

Saturday morning sunrise, its a new day. Its a weekend and no tasks to handle, its the time to take a rest. Rushing to work, speeding to school, no time for a second of thought, life is short. 

Its the day I can watch the river flow by, the occasional family using a boat or a person skiing on by. Perfect. The smell of the water attracts me, its natural and pure, its not completely clear but its beautiful. 

The dock has a blanket of algae on its legs, rocks border the shore. My legs dangle off the edge of the wooden platform, I look across and see flies dancing on top of the water, bubbles popping on the surface of the water, there must be a fish. 

I turn and watch a disturbance in the shapeless water, its a team rowing a canoe. The water is untamable, ripples continue to break off on the shore and larger waves crash to wet my legs. At last they stop, my legs just doused with water but not soaked, its refreshing. 

The sun blasts its light onto the surface of the river, the glare blinds my imperfect eyeballs, my glasses arent enough. I squint and look down at my dangling, splashed legs. I love this. I could sit here until my time comes. 

If only I could have her here, the water would flow more smooth and the earth would sing her name. Not a disturbance could distract my new view, the sunlight would kiss her lovely complexion and reveal her natural beauty. 

We could talk, talk about the miracles of heaven and the formation of this world. This river would be our study, we could day dream of our King walking on the water among us. We could watch this river part with a wave of a staff and move by command of the Father, we could cross it and watch it crash with naturality. We could watch the stories, commandments, healings, and wonders unfold right here. 

We could watch our reflections on the water, crowns upon our heads. A prince and a princess, soon to be Kings and Queens. A royal love, heavenly love before love for one another, courtship and chivalry, respect and patience, a tameable  connection. 

We watch eachother in the water, small ripples casting our imperfections and nothing changes, not even a still river could change what is highlighted. I see her beauty, though the waves distort her face and her own thoughts see differences, I see her vunerable self. Its wonderful. 

I hear birds coming and their wings flapping, they land on rocks in the water and cause ripples. Her image is gone, but my thoughts are not. I can wait for her to come one day, I’ll wait here on the dock for her. 

In the distance I see a figure, its a beam of light, its clean and transparent. It reminds me of Him, the light shining is him and he shows me His extravagance through my surroundings. Everything is commanded by Him, I am His servant. I close my eyes and speak to Him, declaring His power and omnipotence. My words cause the water to flow, its His name that caused the disturbance. Jesus, my Jesus.

The birds fly away and the flies continue their dance, the water flows West, the stars wait for their performance tonight and the moon waits to watch. 

I get up, the wooden dock cries for my presence as I walk onto the grassy shore. I turn around one last time to give my thanks for the beautiful image ive been blessed with. 

Until next Saturday I long for, I say my goodbye with regret. I love you, see you soon. 

But the presence of God comes with me.