Rain Lit Sky | Teen Ink

Rain Lit Sky

April 18, 2019
By inkforuss BRONZE, Roseburg, Oregon
inkforuss BRONZE, Roseburg, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Could I imagine being a piano? That’d be awesome. I’d throw a D-minor at you to make you sad, then an F-major to make you happy!”- Brendon Urie


The bumpy roads of Washington state rattle his thoughts. The zooming cars pass by one by one, bringing one thought into his head. The silent night speaks like no one else, but the thoughts of death speak louder. He is the only person on Earth to think that the night, a silent night, is too loud. Thoughts rage from the inside and the only thing he is thinking of is why. Why did she have to go so suddenly? The thoughts race away with each passing car, soon all he is left with is petrifying words.
He mopes into the cemetery and the smells and sights of the dead place overwhelm him. The tears of a loved one, the grass under the cloudy rain lit sky, and the picture of the one he lost. As he walks up to the grave site his pain escalates to an extreme that he’s never felt before. He looks around to all the faces, they seem blurry, the only thing he can focus on at the moment is the picture of her. Sympathetic looks come from all directions. The only thing he can hear right now is the rain bouncing off of people’s umbrellas. Every drop of rain is loud enough to burst his eardrums. Hands come from his left and right, touching his shoulders ever so slightly, sending a shiver down his spine.
Fear is cowering in his head, but anger controls every decision he makes. Anger, at this very moment, controls his movements, his emotions, and his thoughts. The thoughts that were in the car have been drowned, killed now. If a hand dares to touch him again he will wack it away. He is now determined to find out and punish the person who killed his last close family member.
He screams to the heavens, cursing every word in the dictionary qualified as a curse word. The people around him are beginning to feel unsafe. The people around him keep thinking “He is going to hurt someone, please stop.” Only one thing can calm him down and it's the touch of an angel. As people start to back away with one step at a time a woman in an all white dress comes to him and touches his shoulder. There is no face to the angel when he looks up. All he can see is the long flowing dark brown hair of a familiar head. She takes her hand and delicately rubs his shoulder to silently to calm him. As he calms down, the rest of the attendees start to settle down too. Now the people can understand how hard it is to lose someone so very close to you. The emotional pain is almost too much to handle for him, but he sticks with it anyways.
The woman in white slowly walks to the coffin where the body lay. He looks ahead to see the woman in white simply seep into the coffin, going through the dark and smooth wood. He then realized it was her, the only person he could really ever trust. He cannot bear to look away from the coffin and tears fill his eyes as they leave the church for the graveyard. When she is finally let down into the ground he lets his smile go and says in a soft voice “I love you Mom,” he sniffles “I hope you are safe now.”
After the funeral is over, everyone who attended slowly headed home except for him. He sits sadly next to her freshly buried coffin. The rain has stopped, only small mist is raining down now. The gloom of the world will forever be in his mind; his only light is gone.


The author's comments:

This is the actual verison of my short piece "Rain Lit Sky"