Dreams in Ashes | Teen Ink

Dreams in Ashes

June 7, 2019
By Ebee4650 BRONZE, Mocksville, North Carolina
Ebee4650 BRONZE, Mocksville, North Carolina
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
It’s what you start as, makes what you become, beautiful


     Dale Malls, the old man who lives in the house on the corner, awakes to another silent day. It shouldn’t be like that, but unfortunately for him it is. 

     He pulls himself up and out of bed, his bones creaking from every step he forces himself to take. The house creaks with him, causing a song of old creaks to erupt throughout the small house. 

     It was a silent day, like most of the days lately. The little food he had left was what he ate for breakfast, managing to make it at least half decent. 

     Everyone always said that breakfast was the most important meal of the day. Dale never took that to heart, except for right now. Today this breakfast was the most important meal of his life. 

     As he finishes, making sure to devour every single last piece, he cleans up. The plate and utensils all get scrubbed and put back in their respected places, making it look neat and orderly. 

     Dale, once again, never took being neat to heart. But today was different. This silent day was one that he was going to make sure everything was perfect. This morning everything was going to look profound. 

     He eventually makes his way across the kitchen, heading to the living room, when he decides to stop in front of the door. 

     The door stood tall, beckoning him to go. Calling out for him to maybe go outside today. 

     Dale stands their for a long while, staring at the opportunity and eventually decides to give in to the call. 

     “Today is the day,” he sighs, gruffly under his breath. 

     The fragile old man turns around and makes his way down the hallway to the basement door. It swings open with a loud squeaking sound from the old hinges. It’s been months since this door was last opened. 

     The stairs were worn down and looked dangerous to step on. Dale didn’t seem to care much, as he wobbled his way down them, holding the wooden railing tightly. 

     His feet were ice cold as they landed on the cement floor. It was full of dust and junk that hasn’t been looked through in ages. 

     But ever since that night, his favorite coat has been down here. Now like any smart person, you can’t go outside without a coat. Dale was not a stupid person, he was a brilliant man. 

     The old wardrobe stood at the end of the basement. It’s mahogany cabinets glowing from the little light that shines upon it.  

     It was magnificent woodwork that was passed down ages until it settled under his care. Dale was most proud of it. His great grandfather had hands that could build whatever he put his mind too. Dale always wished he had the same skill, but unfortunately it wasn’t like that. He couldn’t build anything that even remotely resembled the beauty that stood in front of him. 

     His delicate hand twists the knob, opening with a gentle swing. Dust floats in the air, causing a small coughing fit, but nothing to bad. 

      The black leather coat hung from the bar, protruding a beautiful shine from its expensive look. 

     “Beautiful,” Dale whispered, admiring his gift from long ago. 

     His hands grab the fabric, throwing it around his shoulders, and into the arms. As a habit, his hands went into the pockets and a moment of shock runs through him. 

     Three cold cylindrical objects rub across his fingers, forcing him to grasp them and take a look. Batteries. 

     Dale’s eyes gleamed at the power source he held in his hands. The idea of going outside left his mind, as he flew up the stairs going to his bedroom. 

     Dale had a dream last night. He knew what he was going to do today and the plan was set. He got up and he ate his amazing breakfast. After that, he was going to take a walk outside. All of the plans were set, but they got vacuumed away as he started to rummage through his bedroom closet, looking for his most beloved possession.  

     Clothes fly across the air, with bundles of dust flying with it. Dale erupts into multiple coughing fits as the particles coat his lungs. The thought of that quickly leaves his mind as his eyes set on the technology before him. 

     He holds it on his lap, eyes scanning across the CD player. A long time ago, music would fill the rooms of the house. But ever since the event, you couldn’t waste batteries for simple wants, only for needs. 

     Needs didn’t matter today, only wants. The breakfast used up the last of his food and his drinks have been gone since last night. Today was the day. 

     Dale rises with the stereo resting snuggly in his arms. His legs carry his fragile frame across the noisy floorboards to the living room, where cds were lined up on his little bookshelf. 

     He had tons of music from the collection he started a long time ago. Music was essential for Dale. So, to him, theirs nothing more better than listening to music in this moment. 

     His worn grey eyes glide across the shelf of music, looking for his favorite. They froze on it, with a smirk forming across his lips. 

     “One more time,” he whispers, picking it up and placing it down on top of the shelf. 

     His hands fumble the back panel off the stereo and the batteries snap into place. The device only needed two, so their would be no use for the third one. Not any use to him anyway. 

     As he hit play, a woman’s voice floated through the air, filling Dale with a great satisfaction of the day. 

     He sat in his old rocking chair, a slight grumble escaping his throat as pain shot through his rusty knees. 

     The pain only lasted for a second. The woman and the soul in her voice drew Dale away from any pain or sadness he was feeling. All he could take in from that moment on, was the piano and soft words. 

     The window positioned in front of him, was a huge one. The dull blue curtains were drawn back letting Dale stare out into the outside. 

      The idea of going out was gone. He could feel that he didn’t need to go outside today. The duty would be done inside, on this chair, while he listened to his beautiful wife hum into his ears. 

     The window filled his vision with skulls and rotten bodies strewn about the ground. A bright red sky hung over head, not any sense of life anywhere. 

     Dale sat back in his chair, with a smile and took his dying breaths with the dying world.


The author's comments:

I worked on this awhile ago and it’s a story that brings me a lot of thought.