Vultures | Teen Ink

Vultures

By kraman9224 BRONZE, Greer, South Carolina
kraman9224 BRONZE, Greer, South Carolina

There they were. Circling. Looking at fresh carcasses, fresh meat, fresh blood. Like vampires they watched, sniffing, craving the blood, waiting for another to meet the same misfortune, waiting for one to fall in the pit of despair, a new meal, gorging, none are members of the pack but yet all are wolves. Cunning wolves. Gleaming in the eyes, they may look stupid, but oh, no no do not let them fool you. When your back is turned your life will be gone. Next your dignity, your house, your money. Yes, they are snakes, devious snakes. Their venom, their  words, injected through their sharp tongues that cause you to listen, entranced, listening, listening, listening…

You watch, helplessly as they find their new victim, talking to them, they persuade them into buying a subscription for payments of $12.99 per month. Peeking out of your window you are thankful it is not you. But alas, that newfound hope that you believe came from the heavens itself, that you praise the lord for, is fleeting, like a piece of paper blown away in the wind. You find that the door has been opened by your sibling, thinking that it is a friend, and you watch your sibling as her eyes open wide at the thought of these glorious items he talks about. You realise it is just a side effect of the venom, and shudder at the thought of that happening to you. You go on outside for “fresh air” as your parents put it and you are cornered. Up against a wall, you are buried in “Gr-r-reat deals!” and “Easy payments of $10.99 every month!”

People shall remember you as certainly not the first and obviously not the last to face this trauma. You are just another casualty in this war.

Door to door Salesmen.

Always get what they want.