The Never Ending Dream: A Short Story | Teen Ink

The Never Ending Dream: A Short Story

April 15, 2021
By LadyWhimsy SILVER, Edmond, Oklahoma
LadyWhimsy SILVER, Edmond, Oklahoma
9 articles 1 photo 11 comments

The Never-Ending Dream

One day, I wake up but I also don’t wake up. I wake up as the girl, I’ve always wanted to be. You know the kind with great hair every time they wake up and a massive wardrobe. The kind that could rule her own kingdom or empire. That’s right on that day I didn’t wake up as Michelle Shayrela Chi, the oldest daughter of the Chi family. Instead, I woke up as Whimsical Garnet Werecat, fierce yet kind ruler of the Whimsical Court Empire. Since I made this parallel version of myself, I was wondering if the whole imaginary world that exists in my brain had come to life as well. 

I jumped out of bed only to look out the window and realize I was no longer in the reality I knew and loved. I was finally in my fantasy world living the life I thought I wanted. Every character I had ever loved and made or dreamed about was here but my heart ached. It longed for the familiar feel of home and the sound of Jonathan singing so loudly it could wake the neighbors up. I thought God, you gave me what I asked for but now I’m not sure it’s what I want. But since I’m here I might as well make the most of it. 

How often is it that one physically gets to interact with her own characters and live in the world she made? I rushed toward the giant closet doors and pushed them open, then I proceeded to see if everything from my imagination had made its way here. “Fandom?” I said. “Yes, mistress what can I do for you?” answered the A. I system I had dreamed up. I squealed and jumped and ran around so excited. “It worked, it worked!” “What worked mistress? Are you ok?” asked Fandom. “Am I okay? Am I okay? NO! In fact, I’m better than okay, I’m excellent, NO! I am fabulous, wait, NO! I’m better than fabulous, I’m FANTABULOUS! “Um, Okay then anyway what would you like to wear today?” “Something that expresses the very way I feel.” “Okay, let’s see.” He passed outfit after outfit in front of me, then I saw it, a dark emerald green jumpsuit with flowing sleeves and a white skirt-train attachment with small rainbow-colored rhinestones all over it. Oh, and the shoes don’t even get me started on the shoes. Big beautiful knee-high rainbow-colored combat boots. “STOP! There that’s the one.” I said. “You mean the Loki Rainbow Outfit, mistress?” “Yes, and what have I told you about calling me, mistress? You’re my friend not my servant.” “Okay, well Whimsy breakfast is ready,” replied Fandom. “Oh good, I ran down the stairs as fast as I could in those boots which surprisingly was very fast.

I entered the dining room, and before me was a table so long and full of food I almost fainted. I thought back to what I said early about having what I asked for but not sure it was what I wanted. I’m still unsure but there’s been no downside so far. I ate breakfast and decided to explore my new realm of being. I was fascinated by everything, my power, the people, the creatures, the vibrant colors of the landscape. 

I loved it but it wasn’t home. I couldn’t wait till nightfall so I could return to the place I belonged. I missed my family, my cats, my plain room and my clothes. I missed Bruno and my friends. I missed everything but most of all I missed my sense of self. Nightfall came and I went to bed. I slept the whole night praying, hoping, dreaming, wishing I’d wake up to the annoying beep of an alarm, and the sound of Jonathan talking, but the next morning, I woke up in the same world I had yesterday. I was disappointed. The day passed and I went to bed hoping I’d wake up back where I belonged with no such luck. It looks like I’ve got what I asked for but it wasn’t what I wanted. Yes, I’m trapped in a fantasy world of my own making and I can never get out. I guess it’s true what they say: be careful what you wish for or you’ll regret it later.


The author's comments:

I wrote this for a creative writing class. Please tell me what you think. I wrote it on spur of the moment, so if you have any suggestions on how to make it better please comment down below.