Objects | Teen Ink

Objects

By animallover1521 BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
animallover1521 BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

“Finally, she got off! I hate being a bed. Stella is so heavy!” Bed whines. 

“Hey, at least she fixes you if you break! I’ve been down here for years!” says 8 Ball.

“She’s 18, she doesn't use Magic 8 Balls anymore,” Bed replies.

“Well then, she should give me to someone else who will use me!” 8 Ball complains.

“You’re broken, no one will want you,” Bed points out.

“Then fix me!” 8 Ball demands.

“8 Ball, Bed, calm down. You argue about this every day,” Headphones sighs.

“You’re just grumpy she didn’t use you today. You have it the best of all three of us! You are used, but don’t get ignored! Every day she jumps onto me, ignoring how I feel. Then, when she gets up, she doesn't even fix the sheets on top of me so I look messy!” Bed complains. 

“And I’m just left in the dark, day after day, the liquid inside me spilling out into this drawer she never opens.” 8 Ball adds. 

“You guys really don’t have it that bad. I’ve been over here, waiting for her to wash me. It’s been 5 months! And I keep growing!” Dirty Clothes says. 

“Oh yeah, how’s the chocolate going? Has it become moldy yet? Will it stain?” 8 Ball laughs. 

“You know that the chocolate she spilled on me stained after the first 3 days of not washing it, maybe less,” Dirty Clothes argues. 

“Calm down, I’m sure your pile will get big enough for her to realize she has to wash it soon. Bed and 8 Ball, stop being mean. You’re just grumpy,” Headphones attempts to calm everyone down. 

“Oh, I hear Vacuum screaming downstairs. I wonder how his voice doesn't run out with all that screaming?” 8 Ball wonders. 

“I know! Poor Vacuum, being scared to death of all those little dust specks.” Headphones sympathizes. 

“His fear of dust, and anything small and dirty, runs in the family,” Bed creaks in disappointment.

“Can you guys be quiet, I’m trying to sleep up here,” Light suddenly buzzed.

“Sorry Light, forgot you were there. I don’t know why Stella turns you on during the day, her windows give her all the light she needs!” Headphones says.

“Y’know, I haven’t seen Lucky around after she brought him out of her room.” Light realizes, flickering on and off with confusion. 

“Who?” Bed asks.

“The windup toy chick she got a few years back. Poor guy, Stella’s sister used him so much he became too tired to jump around when he was wound up,” 8 Ball says. 

“Maybe she thought he was broken?” Headphones asks. 

“Oh, so she threw him out. Poor Lucky, may he disintegrate in peace,” Light realizes. 

All the objects take a moment of silence mourning Lucky. Footsteps coming up the stairs break the silence. 

“Guys, she’s coming! Be quiet, we don’t want her to think we're broken,” Headphones says. After a pause, she adds, “Not you 8 Ball, we know you’re broken.”

“Thanks,” 8 Ball says sarcastically, rolling his dice. “I totally needed you to tell me that.”

Stella bursts into the room jumping on Bed, muttering something about hating her little sister. She unzips her headphone bag and listens for the sound they make when they connect through her phone. The rest of the objects sit in silence, waiting for Stella to leave so they can finish their conversation. 

The only problem was, their conversations never finished. They always left off at the same place, inviting new objects to join in. When 8 Ball was finally thrown out, Light was replaced, Headphones died forever, and Bed was sold, there were more objects to keep the conversation going. So the conversation kept going, past when Stella had grandchildren, past when her grandchildren became grandparents, until the house was abandoned, and the objects could finally say goodbye. 

I'm a 13-year-old 8th grader who loves animals, reading, swimming and golf! I saw a writing prompt about a story in which objects can talk and decided to set a timer for an hour and see what I could come up with.  I hope you enjoy my short story.