To Climb the Mountain | Teen Ink

To Climb the Mountain

May 24, 2021
By jogara16 SILVER, South Sioux City, Nebraska
jogara16 SILVER, South Sioux City, Nebraska
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Bitterly cold winds blew me off balance and I tumbled across the frozen rocks on the mountain face. I lay in the snow, alone, with my breathing mask cracked as it hissed away the last few moments of my life. How did it come to this? I asked myself.

***

The counselor, Mr. Deansman, walked into the classroom and called my name. I looked up from my lab, which was due at the end of class, and responded, “Can this wait?” Mr. Stregold, the science teacher, looked at me sternly, and silently typed a zero in for the group lab. “Jonathan,” he repeated, “Come speak with me in my office, now.” I stood up and walked away from the lab that wouldn’t be finished. 

“John, we have a problem.” I hate when he calls me that. “You are an outstanding student in all of your classes, but your grades do not reflect it because you refuse every chance you get to work with a partner. This year would sail by in a breeze if you’d just…”

“Worked in a group, I know.”

“I don’t think you do. Showing the ability to work in a group is a very essential skill that employers look for.”

“But independence is a much more important ability to have!”

He started to attack my argument, but then the bell rang, giving me the opportunity to leave. “Hey, I appreciate your concern for me, but I’m doing just fine.” 

I walked out of the office and began to jog down the hallway for my next class. It was only two paces before I bumped into my science teacher. “Mr. Stregold! Hey, I’m sorry about that lab. I can finish it on my own time in Mrs. Bakerhem’s after school and I’ll have it in before you know it.”

He shook his head, “No, this is the last time. If you fail to get over your petty attitude for group work, you will fail my class.” 

***

“So he threatened to fail you, huh?” my dad stated. We had just finished climbing a small peak near our hometown, Markleeville, California. I laid down on the rock out of exhaustion; but not because I was out of breath.

“Yep. And there’s no way around it,” I replied as I gazed into the deep blue sky. 

“And you refuse to simply get over yourself and just try it? I mean you have accepted to climb with a team so-”

“I have tried! And you know how that turned out,” I said angrily.

“I still don’t understand how that teacher couldn’t see through that friend of yours or how he managed to convince her that he did all the work.”

“Friend,” I scoffed. Just because he’s into climbing like me does not mean he’s a friend. 

“Well Jonathan, I can think of only one option left.”

Like what? Team up with Brian and hold hands as we ride into the sun set? I grabbed my Yeti water bottle and emptied it with a gulp.

“Mount Everest is next up. If you move your schedule up a bit then it can get you through this year.”

I did a spit take on a rock that seemed displeased with me. “Are you kidding me?! And what, go climbing with Brian?”

“I find it funny how you’re fine with climbing teams until Brian is in the picture.” 

“Can you blame me?”

“Then it is working with classmates at school then?”

Well, at least I’ll be with someone who’s already cheated me. I thought.

***

The Himalayan Mountain Range cut the continent of Asia in two, separating land with common people, but two very different laws. It also accurately describes Brian and I.

Early in the morning we left the Mount Everest Base Camp and began the first leg of the climb. Brian hit me hard on my bad shoulder and challenged me, “Race you the next camp? ‘Bet you’ll need my help halfway there,” he chuckled.

I swallowed a gulp of contestment, counted to three, then shouldered my bag at him. I jogged to catch up with Nate and Hally so I could be a third wheel. 

It’s a bit better than walking with Brian. 

“Hey are you guys excited?” I asked.

“What? Oh yeah totally! This place is great!” Nate said distractedly looking back at Hally who was holding hands with him. Brian jogged forward and hit my shoulder harder this time and almost knocked off my prosthetic arm.

“Watch it!” I yelled at him, but my words bounced off of him like the echo off of the mountain. 

“Brian, that’s not cool,” Hally interjected. She looked at me with concern and asked, “Hey, are you ok?” Hally is always kind like that to me, but has never been a close friend of mine. I know her by extension through Nate, the closest thing to a best friend I have ever had. 

“Yeah I’m ok, thanks,” I replied. I looked at Nate, hoping to see him catch the hollowness of my answer.

“Brian, if you’re going to be his partner through this climb you need to take care of Jonathan, not push him off a glacier.” I looked off to the side at the Khumbu Glacier. Well it looks more friendly than Brian. 

I went into a daze of thinking to myself; What am I doing here? These pebbles would make a nice painting, wish I had a camera. I might be dehydrated, eh. When I looked up a new scene spread before me: a huddle of orange tents waved at us in the wind that blew across the otherwise colorless landscape. Even the sky decided to take a break to be bleak and emotionless.  

The next four weeks were much of the same deal, but worse. In each camp Brian bragged how he makes sure I survive day after day. After each day I was too exhausted to argue. But not because I was out of breath. 

Brian took off his last layer of coats and huffed, “Does anyone else feel overheated?” I suppressed a laugh and hoped one of the other two would laugh before I did; one thousand nepalese rupees were at stake. He took off his cap and revealed ginger hair that was now less red than his face. I burst out laughing followed by Nate and Holly. 

“Fork it up, Jonathan!” Hally giggled uncontrollably. 

“Fine, take your, what $8.50 dollars,” I said feeling good for the first time that week. 

“Ok guys, ha-ha. Now where’s the sunscreen. My skin is burning.” Nate and Brian traded a handful of coins and a bottle of sunscreen.


The author's comments:

Joseph

May 21, 2021

Dear fiction editor:

I am submitting my fiction piece entitled “To Climb the Mountain” which has 1,746 words for consideration in Teen Ink.

I am a junior in high school and I will graduate in the class of 2022 at Bishop Heelan Catholic Highschool.

Please recycle my manuscript if it does not fit your editorial needs. I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely, 


Joseph