The Many Meanings of Purple | Teen Ink

The Many Meanings of Purple

January 20, 2022
By alaynaj7 BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
alaynaj7 BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Moody. Sleepy. Fatigue. Those were the words to describe Purple. A turtle could move faster than her. She never had an ounce of energy in her body. All she wanted to do was sleep, sleep, sleep. That was exactly what she was doing in class right now. 

ZzZZzZ. Purple slept through what felt like a ten-year-long biology class. 

“Purple, wake up!” The teacher yelled. Purple groaned and lifted her head just slightly. Her warm purple hoodie and sweatpants were making it nearly impossible to stay awake. She started to doze off again only 5 minutes later. “Purple, if I have to wake you up again, you are getting detention!”

“I don’t want to pay attention to you, I only want to sleep!” Purple replied.

“That’s it! Detention after school for you!” Purple just groaned and laid her head back down. She didn’t see a point in staying awake if she already got detention.

She woke up to the bell ringing and practically sleepwalked her way to the next class. 

Yellow, the person who was always happy and energetic, came up behind her. “Has anyone told you that you may have narcolepsy? I’m really looking out for you and want you to be happier!” 

“Just because you are always awake doesn’t mean you are a sleep doctor” replied Purple. Yellow kept a smile on her face despite the rude comment and walked away. 

At the end of the day, Purple dragged herself into detention. She sat down and almost fell asleep again when the detention teacher approached her.

“You know, just because you’re Purple doesn’t mean you have to be lazy and moody all the time. Purple can also stand for wisdom, ambition, and power. I know you’re smart and have a lot of goals, so why not become that instead?” The teacher said.

Purple knew it was true. She represented all those words when she was younger, but high school cause her to let herself go. Deep down she still wanted to be powerful, wise, and ambitious. 

“Do you really think I could go back to that?” Purple asked.

“Of course! Anyone can change their purpose at any time. You can even start today!” The teacher replied.

That’s exactly what Purple did. As soon as her detention was over, she committed her life to being full of wisdom, ambition, and power instead of laziness, moodiness, and fatigue. She started doing great in school again, and she was finally happy again. She even gave Yellow a smile back in the hallways. She was finally living to her true purpose.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece for my final exam for my composition class.