The Drowning Girl’s Graduation | Teen Ink

The Drowning Girl’s Graduation

February 7, 2022
By mmukherjee875 BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
mmukherjee875 BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

     It was graduation day, and everyone was dying. Their hearts rotting, hair falling out, eyes leaking a salty, poisonous substance. On the drive there with my family, my mother repeatedly slammed the breaks enough times to flip our brains upside down. As I walked in, I was violently mauled by a pack of wolves that resembled my friends’ parents.      

     I somehow survived, although I was rather disoriented. However, I used everything I had left in me to drag myself to the side of the stage. I was much too tired for this, and an entirely invisible ghost was desperately trying to pull my eyelids shut. I resisted, but did not know how much longer I could do so. Suddenly, a haunting song blasted through the speakers. It sounded like babies shrieking, and my ears started to deteriorate from the inside, dripping blood onto my white stole. 

     Suddenly, I and all of the other students turned into ants, walking in a straight line towards the dreaded podium. Once I got to the podium, I looked into the audience and could not see a single face. I was in space. I’m not sure why or how. A spotlight sun seconds away from burning me alive was all I could see, everything beyond was pitch black. And that’s when the building began to crumble.

     Cracks spread across the wall from the vibrations of the sounds of the wailing parents. Not only did the room begin to crumble, but it also began to fill with salty tears. It quickly got to neck level, and in that moment, we all accepted our fates. With only a few seconds left before the water swallowed our heads whole, we all threw our caps and used our last breaths to scream, “Happy graduation!” 


The author's comments:

My name is Manali and I am a high school senior from Omaha, Nebraska. I enjoy reading, some of my favorite books being The Bell Jar, My Year of Rest and Relaxation, and the Virgin Suicides. I'm not quite sure when I started, but I think it's very likely that I began writing the first moment that I could hold a writing utensil. I love it. Writing is what I have always loved. I especially love exaggeration pieces like The Drowning Girl's Graduation, which allow me to express emotions that feel too great to describe through just a mere description of my feelings. I am not just dreading adulthood, I am deteriorating from the inside as the walls crack and the room floods! I've always been dramatic, and so I find great joy in writing these extreme exaggeration pieces that are rooted in my real and raw emotions.