Getting Expelled was Worth it | Teen Ink

Getting Expelled was Worth it

By KdramaObsession PLATINUM, Tacoma, Washington
KdramaObsession PLATINUM, Tacoma, Washington

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”

– Bernard M. Baruch

If you were asked, “If you had any kind of super power what would it be?” Or maybe it’s just ,“If you could do any possible thing in the world, what would you do?” Most people would probably say, “oh I want super strength” or “I want to be able to fly.” 

Some people would even just say a simple thing like, to have peace on Earth, or stop every war. I’ve actually been a hero, not to sound cheesy or anything but it’s true. To be honest, it was not easy at all! This all might just sound like ridiculous rubbish, but just let me explain how it all happened.

I’m in one of those schools that expects you to be on top of the trends. Like last year, if you didn’t have a pair of Jordan shoes then you weren’t cool. Now this year, if you don’t have an IPhone then why have a phone at all? I think you get the picture. My school is extremely big, it has at least 50 rooms, and the cafeteria is big enough for it to be a ballroom! I guess that is what happens when your parents are either rich or you just got a scholarship. And I guess you can say not all families are the same either.

I mean let’s face it, even though people say even though you're not financially rich, you're still rich because you have your family, and that there is no difference. But let me tell you there that you can clearly see the difference, kids who are considered rich in my school are also considered the upper class kids. 

And that there’s always a powerful person that over rules all of us. And I’m not talking about the teachers, I’m talking about the most annoying, suck up, teachers pet, kind of person. Who cares about no one but themselves but then acts like they care. And that person is this girl named Rachel. She is this tall Irish girl, with hair red as fire, who always puts it up into a high ponytail. To Rachel, no one and I mean no one gets in her way. 

Rachel thinks she is the queen and our school is her castle, and trust me, I’m not going to be one of her peasants. More like she’s a witch or evil queen however you’d like to put it, and I’m the knight and shining armor ready to defeat her evilness. You're probably thinking I’m being more than dramatic right now, but if you’d met her then you could understand.

Rachel rambles through the halls with her little servants. Trying to see if anyone dared to make eye contact with her. I wanted to look at her straight in those small narrow dark black eyes just to get on her nerves. And I’d tell her to boss her little butt out of the school and to never come back. 

Okay, it started in junior high, Rachel and I were science partners. I clearly remember everything, we did a poster about Giant Pandas. I was answering all the questions and she was doing “research” but she didn’t even give me one fact! When I looked over to see what she had found, she was on her Instagram account! I was really angry because I realized I was doing all the work. 

When the day came to presentation day, she wasn’t here, and she still got all the credit. You probably think oh this isn’t nothing, but it's more than that. Rachel does that to everyone, but they don't do anything about it because when she treats them like their special they forget all about what happened. But not me, I’m keeping track, and gonna get her where it really hurts, then she'll regret it. 

Oh, did I tell you that Rachel is also a bully? Well if I didn’t, now you know. You see, I was in choir, and there was a substitute and we were just chilling and watching a movie. Then the sub pauses the movie every now and then and asks us a question about the movie to make sure we are paying attention to the lesson inside of it, and if we get them right we get candy. My friend Josè got called on and surprisingly got the answer right, and trust me, it was surprising. And just right when José and I were about to have a mini celebration, but Rachel decided to butt in.

Then Rachel decided to say, “Yo José, you should give me your candy and if you don’t, I’ll ruin your blog reputation.”

José has a school blog, it’s kinda like the news for school, but with our “teenage language.” José started out rough on the first couple blogs, but Rachel told him that if he did her algebra homework for two months then she’ll start mentioning about his blog to her friends. I told him not to, but he was desperate for views. Then the views started popping up a storm the moment he said yes. Even though a piece of candy isn’t really worth fighting over, it was kind of a big deal for José and I, so it just seemed messed up. And leaving poor José having to reply yes. When I left after class some kids told me that Rachel literally took everyone’s candy right when the teacher wasn’t looking. 

Then I glared at Rachel, not knowing the teacher was right about to talk to me. And I mumbled, “That little brat.”

“What was that?” I was asked by my substitute.

“Huh? Oh nothing, I was just reviewing my answers.” I stuttered.

That was too close, imagine getting called out in class and explaining why I called Rachel a brat. Even though it’s true I don’t and will not take it back. After all, she has been rude to many people, but then again, if I cared so much, why haven’t I confronted her yet? I guess I was too scared of being embarrassed or receiving combat that I can not talk myself out of. Plus, she’d have all her friends backing her up, I mean, I have friends too, but they are chickens when it comes to standing up to people. I guess that’s just my luck.

3 years have passed

The Road of Trials- Sophomore year is almost over now, and Rachel still acts like she’s the queen. Rachel’s that Barbie-like leader in “Mean Girls”, have you seen that movie? You should because it’s exactly like her, she is like her cousin or something. Rachel has changed, by looks not personality, of course. Rachel that’s known today is a full on bully, she thinks just because she’s tall and popular she can push people around. The worst part is that everyone she picks on is too scared to tell a teacher. I mean I would tell but This time,I was a chicken ready to go back in my pen. 

I didn’t know why it was so hard for me to just tell her to back off. I knew exactly what to say and how to say it. I just couldn’t slip it out. The bullying got so bad that José had to do Rachel’s homework for the whole school year! Again! When he does her homework it keeps him from doing his work, so he’s giving her A’s while he’s getting F’s for his unfinished work. And when his parents found out about his grades they told him no sports until his grades get back up. Which was sad and got sadder when José couldn’t even tell them why he has such horrible grades.

It hurt to see my best friend go through something like that and get all the blame. Which made me so angry that I swore to myself that the next time she tries to get into Jose’s head, imma come straight in between them and tell her to get off my friend’s back, and everyone else too. And I hope there’s an audience so that she feels humiliated because she should be embarrassed about how she’s acting toward her own classmates.

It’s the next day, and José was up all night doing a ten page essay for Rachel. When he came to school today I looked at his eyes, they were dark and had bags that went all the way down to his cheeks. He looked exhausted. I asked him when Rachel was expecting her assignment, and he told me at lunch. And that was when I knew, today was a perfect day to confront her, at lunch where everyone will be watching. It probably looks pretty petty of me to do something like this but I mean, someone has to. Rachel has been like that for three and a half years straight! And I’m not letting it go up to four years.

Lunch Time

I saw José walking to lunch, and then I saw Rachel walking towards our table we usually sit at. Then I sprinted to catch up to José. To make sure if he was sure on what he is doing.

“Are you sure about going through with this?” I asked with concern.

“Of course, I am what about my blog? You know how important that is to me. There’s no way I’m going to back out now.” José complained to me. 

“Well, I hope you know that I’m not gonna let you give her that paper.” I snickered.

“What do you mean? Adira, what are you going to do?” José nagged.

“Oh You’ll see,” I sassed.

We are walking towards Rachel, she has no idea what’s going to happen. I have my secret Weapon right here in my pocket, I got it at a corner store, but it’ll show Rachel who not to mess with. I can see José and I walking up to Rachel and her little crew. Except, it was in slow motion. It was like we were out in space, we were reading to invade each other’s planets, and of course I would win and her planet would burn into flames. This might be a little too harsh but that’s how I’m picturing it. We’ve reached our destination, the planet of the Bratts. 

“I see you’ve finished my paper José, give it here” snarled Rachel with her glossy lips.

And right when José was handing the papers over, I leaped right and grabbed the papers and jumped onto our lunch table. I couldn’t have been more dramatic, and I started to scream and stomped all over the table. I guess you can say, I looked like I was throwing a temper tantrum, but I only did that to have everyone in the lunch room's attention because this was going to be good.

I hung tight to the papers while Rachel snapped, “Um, what do you think you're doing, give me back my paper or else….”

Then I cut her off and sassed, “Or else what? You have nothing against me or have anything to take away from me.” (Except my dignity if this all goes downhill.) “I’m sick and tired of you treating everyone like slaves and like were worthless. And also, you're a bully, you make terribly rude comments about people and force people to do things that you don’t want to do.”

“Um excuse me, why don’t you mind your own business and stop making a fool out of yourself.” Replied Rachel. “Stop trying to be a hero because you're nothing.”

When I heard those last two words I snapped,” You only think we’re nothing because you try to make us feel like nothing. But we are actually something, we are human beings that know how to talk back like you do, we just need to know when the right time is.” “You’ve also been on my friend Josès butt for like, the whole school year. And kept him from doing his work, to do yours.” 

Then I held up the ten page essay José worked so hard on and said, “This is a 10 paged essay by Jose Santiago, but the credit goes to Rachel Jefferson. And as you may see, that doesn’t seem fair, but the only reason he did it was for the promised views for the school blog that Rachel promised.” “So José, next time you should trust in yourself and believe that you can be successful and get those views by yourself, because you’ll feel so much better and so much more accomplished.” Then I took one step back, grabbed out a lighter from my pocket (my secret weapon) and held it up to the edge of the paper.

“No wait, what are you doing?!” Yelped Rachel.

“Doing something I should have done a long time ago,” I stated with confidence. Then I lit the papers on fire, and threw it across the cafeteria, not knowing that in the middle of the cafeteria was a fire sprinkler. All of a sudden there was a loud beeping noise and a flashing light. Water was spraying everywhere, and everyone in the lunch room was getting soaking wet, but no one reacted crazy because everyone knew why it went off. That’s when I realized I messed up, but I wasn’t gonna let a fire alarm and water stop me from defeating Rachel. So even with wet cold dripping clothes and ringing ears, I continued my speech.

Before I could even talk Rachel hollerd over everyone, “Good job, you’ve set the fire alarm, what else, start a fist fight you savage.” “Why do you even butt in and pay close attention to me? Jeez, you stalker.” She sassed while she rolled her eyes back.

Then I knew this was my moment, it’s now or never, go big or go home. Then I took three steps back, ran, jumped and landed on top of Rachel and fumed, “If you don’t want anyone to notice you, then stop putting bad attention to yourself.” Then I punched her in the face, and boy did it feel good. Teachers started to race over from classrooms and tried to split us up. I didn’t even know what I was doing or who I was hitting, I was just letting everything Rachel did out and on her face.” The teachers finally broke us up, and when I opened my eyes I could see Rachel, and she looked like she got run over by a car. She wasn’t crying, or complaining, she just sat there and stared at me in shock, and embarrassment. The teachers took me to the principal's office and Rachel to the nurse, but when I was leaving I could hear my fellow classmates clapping while being shooed by the teachers.

The principal wanted me in the office, and asked me to apologize for my behavior towards Rachel and the firemen that came a few minutes after the fight was over. And I told the principal no, and that I don't and never will feel sorry for what I did today in the cafeteria. Then later I had to call home, explain everything to my parents, and they had to come and pick me up. Oh, and I also got expelled but I wasn’t sad or mad. I was actually happy but my parents weren’t and they will never understand why I did such a thing. I still got to talk to my friend Josè though, and I found out that after what happened in the cafeteria, Rachel was nothing but spreading kindness to the people who used to be her slaves. Then people kept asking me if I regretted the fight, and I always told them no because it changed the school, the students, and Surprisingly Rachel. Which makes getting expelled worth it.

This is what I wrote in Middle School, what an imagination I had right😂

– Bernard M. Baruch

@OnlyMeHere15 Haha ty!😂

OnlyMeHere15 BRONZE, Wichita, Kansas

“Whoever is happy will make others happy too.” -Anne Frank

I absolutely love how you describe these characters🤣 even if you wrote this in middle school.