The First and The Last | Teen Ink

The First and The Last

By Savanna-Gleaves BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas
Savanna-Gleaves BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas

Eve’s beauty was radiant. Many would describe her as fair, serene, divine, even. She walked with a grace unknown to mankind, bringing the excited yet soft thump of small feet with her everywhere she ran. In her eyes, she housed a tremendous cavern of curiosity, one that could be filled only with age- for there were not enough answers ever to satisfy it. Her visage displayed a perpetual expression warm enough to alleviate even the heavy hearts of the grieving. Never before had the Earth seen one so assured in their purpose, one so at ease with existence that every threat of inconsistency seemed trivial.

She blessed the woods with her presence frequently, and the valleys soon after. Carrying as many treasures as she could in her little arms (which wasn’t very many at all) as the birds sang in delight of her return, she reveled in the warmth of the sun; in the delicacy of the grass; in the crisp aroma of the air. She loved the world like one unburdened by the knowledge of all it housed: infinitely and absolutely.

Just as summer follows winter, evil trailed Eve’s heels. As her potential blossomed, the urge to destroy it polluted the heart of the only other being who could comprehend it. The girl’s good nature was pure to the extent that to annihilate it would be an inherent act of God; only the omnipotent discard perfection gratuitously. Admiration and appreciation were simply all too human for Adam, especially when the innate power of destruction rested defenselessly.

Action always came before thought, for at that time mercy was infinite and forgiveness boundless. While Eve picked her roses, Adam plotted until he was certain restraint was the only element tethering him to mortality. It wasn’t until the rotten scent of ill-intent brewed in the wind did Eve find the horror her innocence had allured. 

Betrayal soaked soil welcomed every bit of flesh torn by Adam’s monstrous teeth, worms housed formerly innocent eyes and the spring washed away terror coated nerves. Only when none but a softened heart and gentle hands remained did Adam relent in his carnivorous performance. Blinded to the destruction before him, he felt only a sickening longing for that which could not be returned.

Man's first sin would be his last.

Greetings,

I am a seventeen-year-old creative writer from Dallas, Texas in my junior year of high school. I am currently looking to improve my skills in flash fiction by submitting several different stories to editors, publishers, and contests. Additionally, I hope to receive feedback and commendation to add to my common application and college resume. My goal is to attend New York University to major in creative writing, and one day publish novels! 

This piece was inspired by videos of a popular YouTube channel, Soft White Underbelly, which explores how integral childhood experiences are in determining the kind of life one leads. It is often debated and discussed within this community how abuse during the first few years of life can go on to affect the victim and the abuser. In the interviews of teenagers, we get to see how their choices (conscious and subconscious) are dictated by the quality of their earlier years. Conversely, when abusers/rapists/kidnappers are interviewed, viewers can learn about what leads people to commit such crimes- often they mention being driven by a need for power but ultimately feel regretful of the pain they inflicted. I wanted to showcase the juxtaposition between these two kinds of people in one short story, with the use of caricatures that victims of childhood abuse often identify themselves with (religious figures). Additionally, I've realized with the recent attacks on Ukraine that humans often equate the willingness to destroy with having authority or power; I hope The First and The Last can communicate that point so readers can apply it to versatile aspects of life. 

Thank you for taking the time to consider my work!