Madeleine's 3 Lives | Teen Ink

Madeleine's 3 Lives MAG

By Anonymous

   September 6, 1982

"Mom?"

"What?"

"What kind of stuff do children do at kindergarten?"

"Well, I think you have gym, music and art, but you'll find those things out when you get there. Now, hurry up honey, and put your socks on. You don't want to be late for your first day of school, do you?"

"No, Mommy."

"Mummy's going to make your lunch. Would you go brush your teeth, please?"

"O.K. . . . Mommy?"

"Yes?"

"Is the teacher going to be nice to children?"

"Yes, of course. Now go brush your teeth and you can tell me all about it when you come home. I'll be waiting, all right?"

"Yup!"



September 6, 1990

"So. . ., O.K., I'll see you tomorrow, Kate. School was awesome. . . for the first day. . . Bye!" (click)

"Honey! Could you come here, please?"

Great! It's probably gonna be something like. . .

"Come on, dear, hurry!"

"What!"

"Listen, Dad and I were planning to leave you here alone and bring Joey over to the Davisons, but. . ."

Oh, I knew there was going to be one of those "buts!"

". . . Joey has a temperature of 101, so you have to look after him tonight, sorry."

"Why do you always do this to me, Mum? Gosh! You know I hate babysitting for him when he's sick!"

"For cryin' out loud, Madeleine, you're 13 years old. We expect certain things from you. I'll pay you! Joey's not going to give you any trouble lying in bed and running to the bathroom!"

And if he does, I'll just threaten him with a bottle of Pepto Bismal. . . "Fine."

"Thank you, Madee, and next time don't give me such a hard time, kay?"

"O.K. . . Mom?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry."



September 6, 1995

Dear Mom, Dad (and little Joey too),

I'm having a great time at Stanford. I have the best professors. So far I'm getting a B+ in Math, an A- in History, an A- in Biology, and a B in Literature.

I can't wait to see you guys. I miss you and love you. Tell Joey that I'm gonna get his little butt for putting that fake spider in my suitcase, although I'll let it go, if he promises to write me every week. I also want to hear about his "beloved Christina." Give a kiss to Cricket and Dobbs, and remember to change their litter box every week. Anyway, I want you to write me instead of calling me; it's much more fun.

Remember my first day of kindergarten? Well, beginning college was sort of like that. I was excited and scared.

XXOO

Love,

Madee n