The Catcher in the Rye-Final | Teen Ink

The Catcher in the Rye-Final

April 10, 2023
By Anonymous

              JD Salinger's “The Catcher in the Rye" depicts the memorable story of the protagonist, Holden Caulfield. As an individual who loves to show the opposite side to other people around him, Holden enjoys wearing fancy clothing. Often he will wear a trench coat, a red hunting hat, and a backward brim. We can ask some interesting questions about Holden. For example, why does Holden rebel against his life? What is his life plan?

            Besides Holden, the other characters in Salinger’s literary classic are also important for the story. Phoebe, Holden’s sister, is a child who is younger than Holden, but sometimes she is the more mature person. After she points out that Holden does not like everything around him, she then encourages Holden to state his intentions. In response, Holden reveals his dream for his future to ensure the safety of children in the rye.

            The novel begins on the first night that Holden is dropped off at the Pencey Prep. For Holden, instead of saying goodbye in silence, it is better to go face to face and really say goodbye. Saying goodbye to this school is signified by meeting at the house of old Spencer, his history teacher. Spencer specializes in instilling knowledge in subpar students. During their study sessions, Holden does not enjoy learning. Eventually, he finds a way to leave Spencer and return to the student dormitories. There, Holden fights with old Stradlater, who has a date with a girl Holden loves.

                        Holden then decides to live in New York until the day he returns home. One day in New York, many events occur. First, he meets a student’s mom on the same train. When she inquires about her son, Ernest, Holden lies to her about Ernest’s excellent academic performance; in his mind, however, he is contemptuous of her child who likes to use a wet towel to hit the butts of other boys. In addition, Holden is extorted by an attractive woman he dates, the “queen of all phonies,” and is beaten like a rented mule.

            Later, Holden spends his meager savings on a date with Jane. They have fun at first until Holden invites Jane to live in the wilderness. With the remaining cash Holden owns, he wants to purchase a log cabin. Jane refuses Holden’s idea, however. Finally, they break up, Holden returns home to see his sister Phoebe. When Phoebe sees Holden, she feels surprised. Until their mother returns, they enjoy each other’s company. Holden asks his sister for some money for Christmas, and then he visits Mr. Antolini. Both he and his wife treat Holden well. They give Holden some hot coffee. During their conversation, Holden learns from Mr. Antolini, “This fall I think you’re riding for—it’s a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn’t permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling.”

           Upon hearing this warning from Mr. Antolini, Holden thinks much about his future. When Holden wakes up in the morning inside Mr. Antolini’s house, he is shocked when Mr. Antolini puts his hand on his head. Mr. Antolini’s actions remind Holden of sexual perversion, so he decides to leave Mr. Antolini’s house. Running away from everything he knows, Holden desperately seeks emotional and mental stability. 

            Before he leaves, Holden decides to see his sister again. When Phoebe meets him, she wants Holden to take her with him. Unwilling to take his younger sister to the wilderness, Holden feels sorry for her. He listens to her angry words until they arrive at the zoo and sees a merry-go-round. There, they reconcile, and his sister begs him not to leave home.  In the end, Holden remains with his family.

            In “The Catcher in the Rye,” the readers may consider various elements of the story that are quite prominent. First, Holden wants to shelter the children from the brutal harshness of adult life. Throughout his teenage years, he highlights his position in the world by not following the rules and denying others. He becomes cognizant that immense difficulty lies in the responsibility of adulthood. Second, Holden often returns to Phoebe, who symbolizes innocence and honesty; this occurrence suggests that men will gravitate towards a dependable wellspring of peace and tranquility. Finally, as evidenced by the red hat of Holden, independent, nonconformist thinkers are frequently alienated from society; under this condition, independent individuals must walk a different and uncertain path that Holden struggles with.