The Execution | Teen Ink

The Execution

By aamjad GOLD, Getzville, New York
aamjad GOLD, Getzville, New York

"Knowledge won't come to you. You will only get knowledge if you learn and understand it"
(Ayesha Amjad)

I walked into Walmart like it was an everyday thing to do and headed over to the Food Court. It was exactly 10:30 p.m. when not many people were around just as I had wished. I had just left an urgent meeting with my advisor, Lieutenant William Johnson. Lieutenant Johnson had only done well enough to pass high school and get his high school diploma. He had no interest in anything particular so when his high school counselor, Mrs. Magister suggested he try going into the military; he reluctantly agreed knowing at least he’d have some purpose in life. Lieutenant Johnson had been part of the American Navy for thirty-two years, retiring at the age of fifty. From there he went on to the University of Buffalo and got a bachelor’s degree in children’s education. Lieutenant Johnson then began to teach science to middle school children. He’d often tell them stories about his life in the American Navy but only when the children would do well. The children found his stories so fascinating that they would hastily finish their work, and obey all the rules in order to listen to his story. Even one mistake from any student could cost a day’s anecdote. At the age of sixty-five, Lieutenant Johnson retired and made the Better World committee. In the committee, he helped spread the news of Global Warming and planted many trees, and other actions that were necessary to do. When civilians would hurt each other physically or mentally he made sure to educate everyone about it. When something immoral was done he made sure to explain and teach the right and wrong about it. There were many incidents that he educated others on, he believed it was his purpose in life. 

Our urgent meeting had been about a conflict he’d been analyzing for quite a while. He stated that there was an abundance of humans in the world. We'd soon start to lose the bounty of resources we already had soon. He announced that it was absolutely necessary to kill at least two people per day. His exact words were: “It’s absolutely necessary to glean like the Scythes did at least two people per day. The government won’t understand so we must do this in secret. They’ll accuse us of murder when what we’re doing is for the better of humanity. Fred, I called you here tonight because you’re the premier one for the job. You acquire the ability to do your tasks within a snap, you don’t get very emotional, and you lack hesitation; you always have confidence in everything you do. Frederick Hunternut, I honor you with the job of gleaning two people tonight. They must be a family. You must glean quickly; DON’T MAKE A SOUND! Hide the evidence, and make sure you’re not caught. Walmart is still open. You’ll have luck there. The Food Court is the best option. Go before it’s too late. LEAVE! NOW!”

I’d hustled out of there as fast as I could. As much as a great man he was, he was a nightmare at times. It was probably P.T.S.D. I felt pity for the old man. My disguise would greatly suit my mission. I wore a gray hoodie with identical gray pants with gray sneakers. My hands were in my pocket wielding my pocket knife. I kept my hood down and smiled hello to the cashiers to be as casual as I could. Once I got into an aisle I put my hood up. I glanced at the shelves. They were no longer stocked like they were when the shop opened. On the shelf were various types of snacks which were gummies, chips, cookies, crackers, and more. I decided I might return to this section when I completed my mission. 

Not far from the first aisle was another aisle that held various cereals like cocoa puffs, cornflakes, frosted flakes, lucky charms, and others. Right in front of me was a young man in his early thirties wearing a black hoodie and jeans with his back facing me. When I walked over to the side I could make out a little girl sitting in the child seat of the shopping cart with golden locks of hair sitting on her shoulders; she wore a yellow dress and tiny yellow shoes. The shopping cart was stuffed with food. Man, were they poor or something? That food could go on for months. It was perfect. Father and daughter. A family. Now I just had to figure out how to assemble the mission. How would I hide them? I took a sneak peek to my left and saw the restroom. Perfect! There was a storage room in that hall. I’d just hide them in there, and take their shopping cart. I walked stealthily behind the young man as I crept up on him. It was so wrong to do this. So wrong. It was such a beautiful sight. Father and daughter together. One thing Lieutenant Johnson didn’t know was I’d regret this for life. I threw away my thoughts and took out my pocket knife. I took a deep breath. I wielded my weapon and stabbed the man in the back. I took it in and out to make sure he was dead. Once he was about to plummet to the floor I caught him and gently placed him on the ground. Then before the child could make a noise, I beheaded her. I put the knife in my pocket, picked the two up, and ran to the storage room. When I opened the door, I found many trash bags. I gently placed them there. I went to the bathroom to clean my knife and to make sure I looked like I was just someone who was using the bathroom. When I returned I took their shopping cart to the cashier and paid for the items. I decided I would give all this food to charity.

I had a project to write about an execution this is what I came up with. This project was based on the short story Some of Us Had Been Threatening Our Friend Colby by Donald Barthelme.