The Tree Outside | Teen Ink

The Tree Outside

November 2, 2023
By NonAnonymous GOLD, Cupertino, California
NonAnonymous GOLD, Cupertino, California
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When you have a dream, you've got to grab it and never let go"


There is a big tree on the inside of the village of Oakenwood. He has seen dozens of seasons pass, years of students trudging along and not even giving him a second thought. Some of the students poke at him, scratch at him, and punch him. He had stood there helplessly as a new year was about to begin. 

On the first day though, a student came up to the tree and hugged him. The tree, surprised, asked “What is your name?”. A leaf fell from one of his branches. The student replied, “I’m Daniel. How about you?” The tree took a big sigh, and exclaimed, “I don’t have a name. I’m just a lonely tree that nobody cares about.” This shocked Daniel, and he went to tell his friends about the lonely tree.

On the second day, another student came up to the tree and hugged him. The tree raised his branches, and a leaf fell. “Hi,” Said the student. “Nice seeing you.” The tree asked, “Hello there. What’s your name?” The girl replied, “I’m Amber. How about you?” Again, the tree sighed and said, “I’m just a tree that nobody cares about. I don’t really have a name.” “Oh,” Said the girl, and she left to tell her friends. 

On the third day, an entire class came up to the tree. They all hugged the tree, one by one. The tree was shocked. “Why are you all here?” He asked. The teacher of the class said, “Oh, we thought you looked a bit lonely. We thought we should come here to cheer you up.” A drizzle of sap slowly made its way down the tree. “I-I- don’t know what to say.” The tree said. The class shouted in unison, “Nice seeing you!”

From that day on, it had become a trend. Everyone took turns admiring the tree. When Fall came and all the leaves fell from his branches, all the students collected the fallen leaves and poured them at the trunk of the tree, each leaf representing a happy memory. 


The author's comments:

Hi Mr. Greene ;)