Lonely Linking Verb | Teen Ink

Lonely Linking Verb

By Bellathehawaiianyeti BRONZE, Tigard, Oregon
Bellathehawaiianyeti BRONZE, Tigard, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Linking verb was in her office, thinking. She lived in a big, hollow house, and it was very quiet. She was always lonely, having no time for friends as she was a very famous actress. She was finally settling down in the country. She had always wanted to live in the town of Verb, being a verb and all that. The only thing she was missing from her big dream was friends. You know what She thought. That ends now. I am going to send a letter to some of the verbs in town and invite them over. She sat down at her desk and began to write ten letters to the people of Verb town.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

It was a quiet day in the town of Verb, and all was peaceful. (Or so they thought) Present progressive verb was minding his own business when he saw the mail carrier deliver the mail. He loved getting mail, so he rushed out to open the mailbox. He had one letter, and it said:

Dear Present progressive verb, 

I formally invite you to my house for

some tea and biscuits. I would be delighted if you 

came and joined me at 1/13/23 at 3:p.m.

Sincerely, Linking verb.

Present progressive verb looked at his watch and realized it was the very same day! He rushed over to Linking Verb's house. It turned out that the linking verb wanted to have a meeting to discuss a new verb club, and she had chosen him! AT the meeting there was:

Main verb 

present and past progressive verbs 

Verbs with direct objects               

present and past perfect verb

Verb with indirect objects

Linking Verb (SHe was hosting the meeting)

Simple present and past tense verb

Future verbs

Linking verb was very respected in the community, so it was an honor to get to be in her club. Linking verb had a notebook and a fountain pen with her ready to write. 

"So, darlings, this is what we are going to do. I want each of you to tell me a little bit about yourself and what your profession is." She pointed to main verb and this is what she said:

"Hi, I am Main verb, I'm sorta like, a big deal. I am the verb that is in the most simple sentences and I am the first verb you learn about in school. In a way, I am WAY more important than you guys."

Linking verb scribbled this all down, and then pointed at present progressive verb. He was brother to Past progressive verb, and almost never saw him. He owned the bakery in the village square.

"I am a present progressive verb. I am always expressing a current action, and always end in -ing. An example of me is Lilliana is my best friend."

After that, Past progressive verb started to talk as if on cue. He was a nurse at the hospital.

" I was past progressive verb, and I was always after was. I was ending in -ing as well as my brother. I only spoke in past form, so pleased excused my language. I was jumping (that was an example of what I am) from excitement when I got the invitation."

After past progressive verb, linking verb smiled. SHe pointed towards Verb with direct objects. She owned the bookstore.              

"I am the kind of verb that takes an object, which means I include the receiver of the action in the sentence. As an example, we need a bigger boat. Need is the verb, and you ask the question, what is needed? then, you have the direct object to complete me."

Next, present and past perfect verb went. They owned the finest restaurant in town, Perfect Meals. Present Perfect verb said,

"The present perfect is formed using the present tense of the verb "to have" and the past participle of the main verb."

Past Perfect verb cleared her throat and then said,

"The past perfect tense is an action that was completed at a time before another action happened in the past. Also, Present and I are perfect for this club. See what I did there. Ah. Ah." She giggled to herself and whispered, 

'Perfect for this club. Hee hee." After them, Linking Verb wrote the facts down and pointed to Verb with indirect objects. She ran an event planning business. 

"An indirect object is an object that is used with a verb to indicate who benefits from an action or gets something as a result. Some common examples of me are: give, lend, offer, pass, promise, read, sell, send, show, tell, write. I always make sure to have my indirect object with me so she can give me helpful tips on how to plan other people's events."

Linking verb nodded her head and mUmbled, "Very nice, very nice." She looked up and asked,

"Could you give me your phone number so I could recommend you to my cousin? She's having her daughter's 8th birthday." Verb with an indirect object handed her her business card. Linking verb tucked it away in her back pocket and pointed to Simple present and past tense verbs. They were brothers, and ran a plumbing business. Simple present tense verb cleared his throat, and in a deep voice said,

"The simple present tense is when you use a verb to tell about things that happen continually in the present, like every day, every week, or every month." 

Simple Past tense verb cleared his throat, and, in a squeaky voice said,

"The simple past tense is used to talk about a completed action in a time before now. An example sentence would be Lisa went to the supermarket yesterday. Went is the verb"

After this speech, Linking verb scratched out a couple of notes, and then pointed to the last one- Future verb. She owned the circus, and was the fortune teller as she knew the future. 

"I will tell you the future that has yet to come. For instance, if you wanted to know what you were going to do this afternoon, I would tell you that you will go to the store."

Linking verb put the pen to her chin and thought. She had to decide who to keep in the club, who to get rid of, or if she should keep them all! After she took a sip of her tea, she stood up.

"I have made my decision- you will all stay! You are all important verbs! You deserve to be in my club more than anyone else. Enjoy some more tea and biscuits. Thank you!" Everyone cheered and clapped, ate more biscuits and talked to each other. Linking verb smiled to herself. It's perfect. Now I have a group of friends! She thought. Linking verb was glad she had been brave enough to invite everyone over to her house so that she could make new friends. 

This is a story about the verb types to help teach kids what the verbs are