Under Water | Teen Ink

Under Water

By jenx0x3 DIAMOND, Swampscott, Massachusetts
jenx0x3 DIAMOND, Swampscott, Massachusetts

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a mermaid? The water mesmerizes me I think it is truly beautiful and if I could I would lay at the bottom of a pool and stare upwards at the sun forever… Being under water is wonderful it makes me feel special surrounded, wrapped up, safe.. I stare down at the water opening it’s arms for me to jump in and I can’t wait. I take a deep breath and jump in feet first, my feet break the surface and I am suddenly surrounded by a blanket of blue green. I open my eyes and I can see all of the little silver bubbles floating around me and I can’t help but smile; smile so big that my face starts to hurt. The bubbles that surrounded me are now gone and I am slowly running short of oxygen I slowly swim up to the surface once my head is out of the water I take a deep breath and just that is what feels so good. But now that I am up above the surface all I want to do is dive under again to be surrounded to gaze at all the different colors and bubbles and ripples…. I swim to the shallow end take a deep breath and lay at the bottom and stare at the surface.. Just that is beautiful just laying at the bottom thinking about anything it’s just so peaceful. The light that barely shines through bends in the water making rainbows in the water and the light glistens on the surface. I just can never get enough of it, I get out of the water so I can jump in again and be surrounded once more by circles of tiny foamy bubbles. I jump in and the water swirls and bubbles around me I want to just stay in the water and slowly sink down to the bottom and never come up again.. If only I never had to breathe I breathe out some of my precious oxygen that is threatening to run out so I will have to go back to the surface but today I will stay under I will not surrender not until I absolutely have to. I will keep my oxygen and stay under surrounded by the blue green of the water until I must break the surface to get more. Today my oxygen is short, every time I go under I instantly have break the surface once more… There is just never enough time to stay in this moment as long as I want I guess that is why being under the water is always so special.

This is how I feel when I go swimming. Water is so beautiful that way it glistens in the sun, the way the waves crash and then rippel onto the sand.