Apprentice | Teen Ink

Apprentice

November 9, 2009
By LakeTownGirl GOLD, Lake Stevens, Washington
LakeTownGirl GOLD, Lake Stevens, Washington
13 articles 17 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss


My eyes scanned every corner of the dull lunchroom. There was nothing different than before. Posters still hung on the walls from the extravaganza last month. Faded yellow paint tried to brighten the room at one point in its life, but failed now. The lunch lines were beginning to lighten and students began to move away from the round lunch tables.

But I wasn’t trying to focus on the old details of the room. I had already noted every crack in the ceiling, the flickering light across the room that the janitor wouldn’t fit until next Tuesday, and the tiniest chip in the paint to my right when I walked into the room. There was only one thing that I hadn’t noticed. He was nowhere to be found. The kid I have been following since the beginning of the school year. Today was the day I was supposed to finally fill him in on everything. Everything about the company, the corporation, the secret service I belong to. But I wouldn’t get the chance to fulfill my duty for the day if he wasn’t here. My boss was going to murder me if I wasn’t going to be able to do this.

This was the only reason I was here at this high school. I was to be the one to inform this kid on my whole life, since he was going to become what I was. He would soon become my apprentice, and I would rank higher than ever before. I would be the first to accomplish this much before turning eighteen. Yes, I had already gotten all of my necessary schooling and more before I was fifteen, just another accomplishment, but to go undercover I would have to go back to high school. Not many spies had the advantage like myself to be able to actually experience how your next assigned apprentice lived and breathed up so close.

With an ear piercing screech the bell rang. “Drat,” I thought to myself. How was I supposed to do this if he wasn’t here? I raced down the hallway with grace to my next class. Hopefully I would be able to see him somewhere. But there was no such luck.

I kept my eyes peeled to hopefully catch a glimpse of him rounding a corner or the back of his head above the crowd down the hallways. I knew all of his classes, how he got to each one every day, even who he stopped to talk to. But still he wasn’t to be seen. I was afraid I was going to have to go over to his house. That was the last thing I wanted to do, since things would be awkward. I was still a teenager. I knew how those things were most of the time. And I never truly talked to him. But if it had to be done, it had to be done.

After the final bell, I walked out towards the parking lot. I pulled my car keys out of my bag and fixed the collar of my jacket with a tug at the hem. Suddenly a horn blew and a car came zooming next to me. I peaked in the open window to see him staring right back at me. With one hand, he motioned for me to get in. After sinking into the passenger seat, I tried to act cool by fixing my hair auburn hair in the side mirror, noticing how it accented my olive skin tone and piercing blue eyes nicely. Once I was finished I looked over to him. Maybe this was going to be easier than I thought.

He turned towards me, his expression blank. To my surprise he said “tell me everything I need to know.”