Heart of Gold | Teen Ink

Heart of Gold

By bcookie PLATINUM, Ashville, Ohio
bcookie PLATINUM, Ashville, Ohio

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Last night, I awoke to a bright beam of light coming in through my bedroom window. Even though we have lived in Alaska for three weeks now, I have still not adjusted to the sun staying out for so many hours each day. Groggy, and restless, I climbed out of my warm bed and tip toed across the cold, hard wood floor. As I passed the kitchen window, I saw from the corner of my eye, that there was no sun outside. It was completely dark. Confused and anxious, I trotted hurriedly towards the living room. I pulled back all of my mother’s lacey curtains. The stars were bright sparkles in an endless canvas of black. Worried I might be seeing things due to insufficient rest, I grabbed a jacket and stepped out into the cool air.
Even the faintest wind stung my cheeks and danced around the edges of my neck, looking for a way in. I pulled my arms tight to my chest and ducked my head. I knew positively that it was dark outside because the crisp air cleared my head of my jumbled thought, and I also had to squint until my eyes could adjust to my utterly dark surroundings. So what had I seen? The light was so warm and golden, it had to be from the sun. Suspicions crept into the gut of my butterfly-filled stomach as I ran through a list of light giving objects, in my mind.
I made my way across the yard; stepping lightly in case somebody was outside my window, trying to see inside. A shiver ran through my spine and my lips trembled. The thought of somebody watching me was repulsive.
I could see a faint glow emanating from somewhere around the corner. With a deep breath and my conscience piercing the silence with warning, I rounded the corner.
Instantly, I was blinded by a burning, bright-white light. As it faded to a soft glow, its light revealed a beautiful girl around my age. She had her hands close to her stomach with her palms up. She held something so gorgeous, it was indescribable. I stared in awe, mystified by its intoxicating shimmer and shine like a thousand diamonds. Only for a split second, did I ask myself what it was. I thought myself dumb, because it was obvious it was her heart of gold. Like a bug attracted to a bulb, I extended my finger; eyes still wide and full of wonder.
To my disappointment, she withdrew. With genuine pity and sadness clear on her angelic face, she shook her head. I knew what she meant. To touch it would be wrong. I had to earn my own light. I also knew that I wanted my heart to be as spellbinding as her, so I could make others crave such a gift. I longed to shine and feel the perpetual bliss she seemed to burst with.
Could I? Could I actually be kind enough, respectful and loving enough to deserve that privilege? I had to try. My mind was made up. As she disappeared from sight, I was already listing things I could do. For instance, tomorrow, when I wake up to the beam of light coming through my window, I won’t give my parents grief about moving and ruining my life. Because, quite possibly, it was saved.

bcookie PLATINUM, Ashville, Ohio

Thank you very much! I take great pride in all of my work and I'm glad you enjoyed it:)

kes82 said...
I think you have a great gift with words. I'm looking forward to reading more from you. :)