I Dreamt I Could Fly | Teen Ink

I Dreamt I Could Fly

By unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia

"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

“You can do it Grace,” he said through the crowds. I looked up from the ground and glanced towards the edge. My dad slid into his usual place beside the starting line and gave me one of his smiles. I grinned back and turned away. I looked towards the man with the gun in his hands. He winked at me before turning to the crowds.

“On my mark, you can start.” He held the gun above his head. The loud pop caused a few children to scream but I ignored this and put one foot in front of the other. My breath went in and out in sync with the sound of my footsteps.

“Come on Grace.” He ran along beside the pathway, urging me on. “I believe in you. Keep on going. Don’t stop.” He ran ahead of me now—taunting me. I pushed on; trying to catch up. He laughed and stayed on ahead. Suddenly he fell onto the pavement and there was a shrill sound in the air. It took me a moment to realize it was me. Blush crept up my neck as I closed my mouth. I pushed through throngs of people to him. When I got there, he wasn’t on the ground. I couldn’t see him anywhere.

“Dad where are you?” I yelled. “Dad?”

“Dad!” I yelled and sat up in bed. Sweat soaked my sheets and I listened to the uneven thumping of my heart. I glanced at my clock; it was only 12:30. I had only been asleep for fifteen minutes.

My fingertips brushed against my cheek and I was taken aback by the tears cascading down my cheeks; sobs racked at my chest. I lay back down and tried to fall asleep. Memories flitted through my mind like a slideshow.

“Go to sleep. You have a big day tomorrow.” His deep voice entered my head and I whimpered lowly.

“Dad,” I murmured once more before finally drifting into a restless sleep.

Prologue to novel :)

Anique_ThePoet GOLD, Indianapolis, Indiana

"A writer should write with his eyes and painter paint with his ears." ~Gertrude Stein~

this was good =) ive done tht and i still wonder lol. great jog tho!

hahaha! Thanks. The chapters are being reviewed now so it might take a moment for them to come up.

HeatherBee BRONZE, I Live In, Texas

Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground, like a skyscraper

Love is louder than the pressure to be perfect

ohh :))))))))))))))))) i liked it