They Overcame | Teen Ink

They Overcame

April 16, 2010
By the_sky_is_blue GOLD, Reno, Nevada
the_sky_is_blue GOLD, Reno, Nevada
14 articles 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Become the change you want to see"-Mahatma Gandhi


One day there was a group of beavers in a land that was far away. These beavers had a very good life and were very prosperous. However, there came a day that there was a problem within the beaver’s land; not all of them wanted to abide by the same rules. As a result a group of beavers, led by a beaver named Will, left the colony in search for land further away so that they did not have to live by the same rules as the other beavers did. When they finally reached the land that they wanted, there were many hardships that came with the new land. They could not find enough food or build any shelter because bobcats occupied the land that they wanted. However, they became friends with these bobcats and the bobcats taught them how to live off of the land and survive. They overcame their problems.

Then one day, the beavers from their homeland came and demanded that they give them food. This started conflict and a war resulted. However, the beavers that elected George wanted to keep their land. This want proved to be too much for the other beavers to handle and George’s beavers won. They overcame.

After this, the beavers were able to make the rules that they wanted and made sure that what they had fled from would not be repeated. A lot of the rules were similar to those of their homeland but most of them were different. These rules were established and all of the beavers were happy. The only animals that were not happy were the rats that the beavers brought in to do their work for them and the bobcats, which had been betrayed by the beavers that they befriended. After many years of peace, there was conflict again. This time a war broke out amongst themselves and their old wants had to be renewed in order to end the war and unite once again, this time by a man named Abe. After the war was over, the rats were freed and the beavers were once again united. They had overcome.

The beavers lived good lives for many years, occasionally engaging in conflicts with other species but always managing to persevere. Once their beaver nation had even run out of food, but they persevered through that too because of a great war. However, there is a problem now. Over the years, two groups of beavers had conflicted with their thoughts and opinions and made their own separate groups. They each wanted the country to be run by their own leader and started making decisions based off of what their groups believed instead of what they individually believed. As a result, a danger worse than any war has come upon the once great beavers. They are defeating themselves from the inside out. Hatred is bread and corruption is prominent. Also, another food shortage has begun.
Now the beavers are led by a beaver name Barack. He is young and inexperienced, but has many good ideas. However, instead of helping the food shortage, he is making it worse and now all the beaver population on their land is suffering. He is taking away all the rules of the previous leaders and he seems to be controlled by outside forces. The beavers have forgotten all that George and his beavers fought for and all of the rules that his beavers made. They have forgotten the means for their success over the years. Barack doesn’t know what to do in order to ensure his beavers survival. The once great beaver nation has to persevere once again, but no animal knows if the beavers will. Will they overcome?