Wolf (prologue) | Teen Ink

Wolf (prologue)

By HidingBoy SILVER, Hartsdale, New York
HidingBoy SILVER, Hartsdale, New York

The lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. -Ashrei

It stared down at me with bright blue eyes clear as a pond in the middle of a windless summer day and dipped its head down as if in a nod. Never breaking eye contact the wolf slowly brought it's head head back up and swung so the bulk of his body went to the right. Then, even as I saw it coming, it bunched up it's legs and, faster than i thought an animal could move it leapt up over me and scooped me up by my scruff.

I wanted to fight, kick it until it stopped moving but instinct took over and i swung paralyzed from it's mouth. The wolf loped off the path i was fallowing and onto a more worn looking path, most likely made form the other wolfs always traveling past.

It was a dangerous route I had taken as it goes past this very path i am swinging over now. But I had to take it if i was to make it to the meet on time, but now i guess i won't.

We sped up and soon the ground was a blur and the trees markers for how the path went. I squirmed some but gave up when i saw it did no good. Ahead there was a slope and thats where the sky met the land. I had never been this far before and wondered if we would start running on the sky. Sadly i realized that the sky seemed to move farther away as we got closer.

It was almost dusk now, and the wolf had slowed down now to a walk. The few trees cast shadows that engulfed all in their path and they got bigger as the sun got smaller. Soon we approached a thicket of trees and as we entered the dense grove I wondered how all of these trees got there. I soon found out though for at the center of the bunch of trees, a good 20 yards from the trees in all directions, a pool of water sat. In the now silent night a stone lay in the center of the eerily still water. Above the pool may be 3 feet wider than the pool itself a gap in the trees presented itself. As the wolf threw his head up I caught a glimpse of the stars and assumed later the moon would come over the earth.

I was so mesmerized by the sky and how similar my sky was that i didn't realize the wolf had let go until I saw a splash of water engulf me. As i gasped for air I slowly sank, not knowing how to swim. The last thing I saw was the wolf's family, now gathered around the pool, then a bright flash before the shadows stole me and I finally understood why.

My little bunny rabbit fluffy inspired me to write this.

HidingBoy SILVER, Hartsdale, New York

I am currently writing the first chapter

writerofmusic SILVER, Eaton, Colorado

\"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say.\" ~Anaïs Nin

I love the beginning of your stories! They really grab the attention.