Lavender Bath Beads | Teen Ink

Lavender Bath Beads

By Anticlockwise SILVER, Woods Cross, Utah
Anticlockwise SILVER, Woods Cross, Utah

I started with my shoes, untying them and throwing them off to the side, slipping off of my socks and trying to get them near the shoes I had just thrown. Next came my shirt, slipping the fabric off of the bulge.

I sank into the warm water, letting in engulf me fully, bubbles playing around my face. I noticed a bit at my nose and went cross eyed. I let out a laugh and tried to blow them off of my nose. I finally admitted defeat and pulled a hand out of the water to wipe them off of my nose.

”I see trees of green, red roses too. I see them bloom for me and for you. And I think to myself ‘what a wonderful world.’” I sang happily, scooping up a handful of bubbles and gently blowing them towards my feet. A small smile played on my lips as I moved the sponge up and down my arm.

”I see skies of blue and clouds of white. Bright blessed days, dark sacred nights. And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.’” I sang as I sank a little bit down deeper into the warm water, bubbles lapping at my ears. I moved the sponge down to my chest, soaping and cleaning the warm skin.

“The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky. Are also on the faces of people going by. I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do. They're really saying I love you.” I grabbed the bath beads from the stand next to the tub and poured a small amount of the lavender pebbles into the water. The beautiful smell filled the room; I took in a large breath and let it out slowly. Letting my eyes shut softly. The small smile on my lips growing slightly larger as the sent filled my lungs. The sponge made its way down to my large stomach gently moving around in circles calming the harsh movements within me.

”I will hear my baby cry, I’ll watch her grow. She’ll learn much more, than I’ll never know. And I think to myself ‘what a wonderful world’. Yes I think to myself ‘what a wonderful world.’” I changed the words to the song as the movement in my stomach began again, as I stopped sponging.

I heard a knock at the door, and realized that my bath had gone cold. “Come in.” The door creaked open to reveal my husband. “I thought you’d want this.” He said, holding out a towel. I smiled at him and lifted myself out of the water, after pulling out the plug that kept the water in. He came and wrapped me in the towel that I could only assume came from the dryer, as it was perfectly warm, and smelled like fresh linen.

I was pulled tight against his chest he gave me a kiss, then leaning down to press a kiss to my stomach. Singing Louis Armstrong, a hot bubble bath, a warm towel straight out of the dryer, the love of my life at my side, and a beautiful baby girl growing inside of me. Those are the things that make my life great, the things that make me smile.

Lyrics are from the song 'What a wonderful world' by Louis Armstrong.