Mysteriously Saved | Teen Ink

Mysteriously Saved

Alicia noticed a hooded figure coming to the gate where we were standing. She whispered to me, “Who is that?” and I looked where she was pointing, “I have no idea.” This is a pretty small town so everyone practically knows each other and no one I know goes walking around in a cloak. Why would someone be coming in when the show is well over; almost everybody had left, I thought. As the cloaked person got closer the night seemed to be getting darker, like the moon was going out. When it was almost pitch-black I heard Alicia scream and my insides went cold. What if something happens to her? I thought panicking.

After a minute of quietness, I heard Mark, who went to the show with us too, yelled out, “What the hell is going on?!.... Hey! Get off!” I heard a thud a Mark went quiet as Alicia screamed with rage. I was so worried and scared about Mark and Alicia, I didn’t notice the hands that grabbed my arms and slowly dragged me away. What can I say, I was terrified. I didn’t know what was dragging me, but it felt like we were going towards the old church. Nobody ever goes into the church. I don’t know why, no one ever talks about it. As the creature was dragging me, my foot hit a rock and I screamed. The next thing I remember is waking up in a chair. I stared around the room and saw dozens of old, almost ancient weapons and tools. There were some carvings on the wall that I didn’t recognize. When I got done looking around I saw Angela in a chair next to me, identical to mine. She looked just as terrified as I felt and I’m sure she was wondering the same thing, who is that hooded figure and what grabbed us and brought us here?

“You two put up too much of a fight. But, that other friend of yours- Mark, is that his name? - fought the most.” He startled us so much that we both screamed. It was a man’s voice that had come from the doorway behind us. Now he had circled in front of us, with his hood still on. I looked at Alicia, and I could tell by the terror that had not left her face, she had no clue who this stranger was either. “My name is Constantine,” he said calmly. “You,” he said pointing at Alicia, “Are Alicia. And you like many others before you, have not realized that you have a ‘special gift.’” Alicia wasn’t as scared as before, but she was definitely curious now, as was I. But, I was also wondering if this was some sort of weird joke someone was playing on us. “You,” he said, now pointing at me, “are Angela. The same as Alicia, you have not discovered your powers.”

“Powers? Umm…what powers? And, you mean, more than one?” I asked, being very confused.

“You two are witches. I mean no offense at all by that. I just mean that you have powers, or gifts as some would say.” He, Constantine, thought for a bit and continued, “Alicia, you are more like a half- witch. You two probably don’t know this, well I know you don’t know this, but you two are sisters… half sisters actually.”

“But… how...” I began, but didn’t know how to continue and Constantine spoke before I could get my thoughts straight, “You two have the same father.” Alicia and I stared at each other, once again, stunned by this Constantine guy. And he then strolled around the room looking at his artifacts. “Now, I need to show you where you will be sleeping.”

“WHAT!? Hey, Constantine, we were just kidnapped by you and your ‘friends’ and you expect us to just stay with you?”

He thought and said calmly, “Yes,” and he continued in a more threatening voice, “If you want to learn how to use all of your powers and be in control of them.”

Alicia glared at him in disbelief, “And if we don’t learn how to use them, what will happen?” she snapped.

Constantine paused, and said, “The world will think you are some sort of freak; a monster. They will think that, because, your powers will keep growing and you, yourself will not be able to control them.” He watched us take this all in with a satisfied grin on his face then said, “Come, I will show you where you two will be sleeping. Also, I know people well enough that you will not be able to fall asleep right away after a shock, especially like this, so think about what I have told you and let me know your answer in he morning.”

As I was thinking, a new thought came across my mind, “Why us? Why now? Most importantly, what about our friends and our families?”

For a second Constantine was quiet and looked almost sad (from what I could see of his face) and he looked out the window, then said, “You will have time for questions in the morning. But as for your ‘parent issue,’ your father knew this was going to happen. Your mothers have been kept in the dark about all of this…We will have to fake your deaths. But! Before you freak out, keep in mind your father will know you are still alive. Now, sleep.”
Our room was on the second floor of the church. Constantine had it renovated so the second floor was full of large dorm rooms. He told us that this was probably where the nuns had slept. Alicia and I shared a room. It was very big; I think they knocked down a wall between two dorms. “Angela, do you think this Constantine guy is for real?” Alicia asked as she was taking off her eyeliner.

I thought for a second and couldn’t think of any other reply, “I honestly don’t know. I’d like to be a witch, but magic? I have never been able to do anything ‘supernatural.’ When we were first kidnapped, I was sacred out of my mind, now I’m just curious.”

After she was done taking off her make-up Alicia said, “I’m going to bed. Goodnight.”

“’Night,” I said and lay down, rolled over and fell asleep. And this sleep wasn’t the peaceful dreamless sleep I’d hoped for. I dreamt Constantine was talking to us, explaining something. Then, it jumped scenes; my mom was crying, with my dad comforting her. Next thing I knew I was at Angela’s house. Her mom was crying too. Next stop was the school auditorium. Principal Stark was speaking. This time I could clearly hear what was going on. He said that Angela DeMarco (me) and Alicia Jones were both killed in a hit-and-run.

“Angela… Angela,” I heard someone calling my name. “For God’s sake. ANGELA!”

“Damn it Alicia! You gotta be so loud?”

She stared at me in disbelief. “You were having some sort of fit or something when I woke up. Also, when I called your name you didn’t answer, so I had to shout for you to wake up.”

“Sorry. It was just a bad dream… So do you want to stay here or no?” I asked.

“Yeah. Well, I guess we sort of have to. He didn’t seem like he was kidding, so I think we just have to trust him for now.” And Alicia started for the door but stopped and said, “Why do you think he doesn’t want us to see his face?”

“I don’t know. Maybe it’s too scarred, or… maybe he’s someone we actually know, but he disguised his voice and he doesn’t want us knowing who he is. At least for now,” I said. I had wondered why he always had his hood up, but never really thought abut that until Alicia brought it up again. Then realizing we’d been talking for a half hour, I suggested, “Maybe we should go down there, before he thinks we’ve run away or something.”
“Yeah, we probably should,” she said smiling, “but, what should we wear?” And right when she said that, two packages appeared at the end of our beds. “Cloaks. Just like Constantine was wearing. They better be comfortable.” When we got dressed we went down stairs and smelled breakfast cooking. We (at least I had been) had been so scared last night, we didn’t even think about eating dinner, so when we smelled breakfast, both our stomachs growled. But when we got to the kitchen we stopped right at the doorway. We were expecting to see Constantine cooking or a friend of his (he told us last night that some people would be dropping in and out from time to time) there, but the instant we looked into the kitchen, we saw that the food was making itself. “Well, I don’t think he was joking about the magic thing,” Alicia said grinning.

Then a voice behind us made us jump, “You could do that, you know. Both of you could.” I seriously think he likes startling us.

“How? Let me try it, so I know if I’m a witch or not.” I could see Constantine smiling, not mocking, but a surprisingly warm smile, under that hood of his. “Yeah, we probably should,” she said smiling, “but, what should we wear?” And right when she said that, two packages appeared at the end of our beds. “Cloaks. Just like Constantine was wearing. They better be comfortable.” When we got dressed we went down stairs and smelled breakfast cooking. We (at least I had been) had been so scared last night, we didn’t even think about eating dinner, so when we smelled breakfast, both our stomachs growled. But when we got to the kitchen we stopped right at the doorway. We were expecting to see Constantine cooking or a friend of his (he told us last night that some people would be dropping in and out from time to time) there, but the instant we looked into the kitchen, we saw that the food was making itself. “Well, I don’t think he was joking about the magic thing,” Alicia said grinning.

“How? Let me try it, so I know if I’m a witch or not.” I could see Constantine smiling, not mocking, but a surprisingly warm smile, under that hood of his.
He considered it for a moment and said, “Okay. Like you’ve probably read in books, things like this take a lot of concentration. See that pot over there?” he pointed to a small one on the left, “Focus on it. Will yourself to make the water inside of it hot. Believe you can feel it getting warmer as if you were holding the water in your hand.” I tried to do exactly as he told me. I wasn’t sure if I was doing it correctly of not. After about three minutes Constantine said, “Okay. Let’s see how you did Angela.” Alicia and I followed him over to the stove and he felt the water. The second he put his hand in he withdrew it.

“What? Is it hot… or at least warm?” I wanted to get this right the first time so bad.

“Yes it is hot Angela. Not because you heated the water with magic, but because see here,” he pointed under the pot and I groaned, “you turned the stove on and the water was starting to heat from the fire beneath it,” and by the time he finished talking he was shaking with trying hard not to laugh.

“Oh, very funny,” I said rolling my eyes, but still pleased I was able to do something to the water. “So, my special ‘gift’ is seeing premonitions, then what’s Angela’s?”

All of a sudden Constantine became a little more serious, “She will have you father’s other gift. His other gift was to be able to move objects with his mind.”

“Cool! I can move things with my mind!” Angela then decided she’d try it. She was staring very intensely at a small pan across the counter. Right then when I didn’t think anything would happen it gave an abrupt jerk and clattered to the floor.

Constantine seemed impressed she could do even that without his help. He congratulated her saying, “Great job. I did not think you could do it. I didn’t even tell you how to d it yet.”

“I just concentrated on it and pictured it moving n my mind” Angela said beaming, clearly pleased with herself.
I’m not entirely sure what it is about Constantine, but he fascinates me. He still hasn’t shown us his face, and I feel like I’m in the presence of a great teacher. He said the night before we’d be virtually lost without him and even thought I’ve known him for less than twenty-four hours, I feel very comfortable here with him. I think Ange and I will learn a lot from Constantine.