The Real Story of the Candy Cane(well kinda real). | Teen Ink

The Real Story of the Candy Cane(well kinda real).

By Sam_Wolfe SILVER, Staten Island, New York
Sam_Wolfe SILVER, Staten Island, New York

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."

This is the actual story of why candy canes were made the way they still are made today. The lady who invented the candy cane, Kandi Kayne, wanted to make a candy with multiple uses. For example, she wanted to create a candy that could drag gumdrops from across the table. That’s why candy canes have a long stick-like figure and a hook on the end. She also wanted something that would remind her of the North Pole or the barbershop, hence the original design of white with red stripes. And another thing that she also found to include in the candy cane is the feature of being able to sharpen it to a point by sucking on the stick-like part long enough. She also found it comforting that you can get it sharp enough to pop a balloon, which she used it for very frequently. This was said to be false and it not really possible, but proven to be true by scientists. She also made the texture perfect, so for example, if you wet it, it gets sticky enough to pick up small objects, such as lint or a sunflower seed. She also made miniature ones so you can hide them in a Christmas tree and no one will eat them all on you. She even made them out of peppermint candy instead of fruit candy, which was more popular at the time. She did this so if you were sharpening yours or in the middle of popping balloons and someone came in, you could easily bite of a piece to freshen your breath quickly and effectively. Many probably didn’t know this, but this woman’s life was actually saved by this versatile candy. She later told of her life-threatening situation to the newspapers and magazines. She said a thief broke into her home and held her at gunpoint while he loaded the candy maker’s goods into a large potato sack. She was weaponless and had no idea what to do. Then she slowly stuck her hand into her pocket, trying not to let the intruder notice. She then said that she only had one item in her pocket, one of her candy canes. She flung in toward the robber and it hit him in the eye. The burglar dropped his gun, and she grabbed it and held him at gunpoint until police arrived. Now aren’t you glad you know the real meaning of the candy cane.

Actually this is just a story I made up while talking to my sister and she said I should write it down, so I did. Oh yeah that whole balloon thing is true, I tried it. Lol.

TeaganOlivia said...
TeaganOlivia, Someplace, Michigan

Today is Yesterday's Tomorrow.
Certainty of death, small chance of success... What are we waiting for? :D ♥
Pippin: "Anyways you need people of intelligence on this sort of...mission. Quest. Thing."
Merry: "Well that rules you out Pip," :D ♥
There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other."
---Douglas Everett

I really don't know. One of my friends who just became a member , his stuff gets published really fast.

why is it that some articles can take a long time and others a matter of days? Does it hafta do with how many article people sent in around that time or sumthing?

TeaganOlivia said...
TeaganOlivia, Someplace, Michigan

Today is Yesterday's Tomorrow.
---Douglas Everett

I know!!!! Once it took like a month, for a little poem to be published!!

Thanks! lol. I made up this wacky story and she was like post it so i did. OMG you have so much stuff on teen ink! I just joined and im waiting for them to approve like 9 more article. THEY TAKE SO LONG sometimes lol!

TeaganOlivia said...
TeaganOlivia, Someplace, Michigan

Today is Yesterday's Tomorrow.
---Douglas Everett

Haha!! :) This is great!!! I love it!!

Sarah2000 said...
LOL! i'm glad!