The Hidden Blue | Teen Ink

The Hidden Blue

November 30, 2007
By Anonymous

He walks into the classroom with his head down, almost ashamed to be here. He walks quickly to the back of the room to an old, chemical stained desk but his effort doesn’t work. The jocks of the class notice him and begin to pull puns. His head lowers with each throbbing word.
He is the smartest guy in the school and is often used as a model student for the class. Each time he is mentioned, classmates turn and stare while his head lowers to its limit. He barely looks up, only to take notes on the chalk caked board. He looks at me and I smile. He turns his head, lowers it again, and begins to write. I wonder if it hurts him more than it hurts me. People smile and act kind but they make fun of him and taunt him. People smile at me but I shrug it off.
I’m an outcast of the girls. I’m not a shopper or a rich girl who flaunts off dim-witted talent. I sit at a desk, by myself, and I’m the common subject of gossip and cruelty, but I’m not as smart as him. I can’t say that I feel sorry for him, for being mocked or being the smartest guy around. I feel sorrier for the others who don’t notice his traits. He is smarter than everyone here and he is kinder. I guess his best trait is his hidden blue eyes.
His deep blue eyes are darker than the sea and Poseidon could never possess them. No other person in the school has any eyes similar. They’re always covered by his thick black hair which drifts down to his neck. I notice them everyday and they haven’t ceased to entrance me. Class ends and he quickly leaves, his normal routine to avoid confrontation. I smile at him everyday; I wonder if he notices me.
Another day, another class, and with it comes more words. He walks into the classroom with his head high with honor. He walks slowly to the back of the room and sits next to me. Everyone glares at his unusual actions and takes-off on gossip and conversation. I can’t help but smile as he stares at me throughout the class period.
Class ended, words were said, and gossip stirred. He stands up as I stand up and I look at him with a smile. He smiles in return which makes his eyes gleam unlike never before. He leaned over and whispered in my ear, “You have gorgeous green eyes.”