To Observe | Teen Ink

To Observe

By JMThe-one GOLD, Enfield, Connecticut
JMThe-one GOLD, Enfield, Connecticut

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.
C. S. Lewis

The following scene is based off of a true event. Some of the names have been changed to protect the guilty.
Narrator: I am isolated from my peers, even though I interact with them every day. They do not know what I am thinking. My emotions are hidden under 8 thick layers of skin. To Observe is to see, watch, perceive, or notice; I am an observer. I am rarely a participant. And so when I make an observation, I observe- to make a comment or remark. Yet as one might expect, the observer is rarely heard, pushing them further and further into that isolation, until they may only be able to view their society, their life even, through a sound proof glass box.

Scene: Jacob walks in, exhausted from another day of little progress at school. He keeps his jacket on, as his house is cold, the heat obviously not on. He sits on the couch facing the TV. No one comes home for hours as he leaves the living room and sits at his desk on the computer with his friends. He is up late, until about 2 in the morning, when he finally decides to go to bed, as no-one is any longer online. John, his stepbrother, walks in with a group of his friends, and turns on all of the lights which Jacob had just turned out so that he could sleep. Jacob is attempting to sleep in the far corner of the room, as John’s friends sprawl themselves out about the room, obviously unaware, or disregarding the fact that his stepbrother is trying to sleep. The room is a mess, shared by Jacob, his brother, and his stepbrother. John’s clothes are strung about the room, his used dishes on top of the TV and computer desk, without regard that the room is not just his; the only clean area in the room being the corner where Jacob is trying to sleep. Jacob’s brother is out watching the premier of Tron, and hanging out with his friends.

John: Oh my god. That party was so dumb. There wasn’t even any hot guys there, and, did you see Jack? He’s such a grubby. I mean if you’re going to go to a party at least take a shower and put on some decent clothes. (Friends laugh in background) Ugh.

Carey: Did you see Joe? Oh my god. He’s so sexy. I mean, if I am going to do anything, I want it to be with him. He’s so muscular. But he’s not, like, too muscular, like Dave is, you know?

Nathan: Are you serious? Wow Carey. He’s so not good enough for you. Like, you could do way better. I mean He’s ok, but he is definitely not good enough for you. Besides, Dave is way better for you guys. I mean he is way cleaner than Joe is. Ugh. Joe is just nasty.

John: I know right. Come on Carey, Dave is way better. Plus Joe is just annoying. He’s always trying to get attention. He acts so dumb.

Carey: Well, I don’t know. I think he’s hot.

Kaylee: (Burps loudly and laughs)

Nathan: What the hell Kaylee. You’re so gross. But I still love you.

Kaylee: I know. But I had fun. And Joe is definitely not good enough for you Carey; and did you guys see Alex and Liz? They’re so annoying sometimes. Like no-one thinks you’re cute.

John: Yeah, Alex and Liz have been annoying me lately. Alex always acts different in front of everybody. I mean, if you’re going to act like that don’t act different around everyone else. It’s so dumb. Ugh. I hate how he tries to act so big in front of the other guys.

Scene: Jacob is tossing and turning in his bed, unable to block out John and his friends’ superficial remarks, he is constantly rolling his eyes and sighing loudly, in an attempt to let them know he is trying to sleep. Realizing that they will not notice, he begins breathing deeply, trying to block out their voices. Finally, Tyler, his brother, walks in. Jacob sits up in bed.

Jacob: How was the movie?

Tyler: It was good.

Jacob: Did you see it in 3d or no?

Tyler: No.

John: Are you sleeping in here tonight Tyler?

Tyler: No, why?

John: I was just wondering ‘cause my friends are sleeping over.

Scene: Tyler leaves, Jacob realizes, to go sleep in the basement; as Tyler wants to go to sleep and not deal with John’s friends being loud as he tries to.

Nathan: I think that’s so weird.

Kaylee: What is?

Nathan: Seeing brothers get along. I mean me and my brother never get along. Like he’s a huge meat head and he’s so dumb. He is always high or drunk, and he’s always mad at me. Whenever he comes home we always fight for no reason.

Jacob: (laying in bed again) Well no wonder you guys fight then. I mean, he sounds like an a**hole, no offense.

John: Why are you eavesdropping again?

Jacob: Well it’s kind of hard not too when you guys are right there. Plus he was kind of referring to me and my brother.

Nathan: Umm, no I wasn’t.

Carey: I hate when people always butt into other people’s conversations. It’s so annoying. I mean, like, mind your own business. It’s not that hard.

Scene: Jacob is boiling over with anger now, sighing after each comment John and his friend’s make. It is hard not for him to laugh at their stupidity, but he knows he can’t say anything or be attacked by a barrage of idiotic comments. John and his friends continue talking about what people were wearing at the party, and how they looked, until they decide finally that they are going to go to sleep.

Narrator: As I observe such stupidity I wonder to myself why no one listens to me. It is almost impossible for me to interact with anyone, shut up by the same superficial remarks my peers make. Finally when I notice someone has something of value to say they are shut up by those same, superficial people. I am forced often times to yell over those who will not listen, so that I may listen to those who have something of value to say, but I forget that I am still stuck in a soundproof viewing room. To observe is no longer satisfying, I am unsure if it ever was to begin with.

JMThe-one GOLD said...
JMThe-one GOLD, Enfield, Connecticut

C. S. Lewis

sure......

BeTwEenDrEaMiNGaNdCoMiNGTrUE PLATINUM, Howell, Michigan

“If I speak in the tongues of angels, but have not love, I'm only a resounding noise , If I have the gift of knowledge, And if my faith moves mountains high, But have not love I am nothing… Though I know the One, Who holds the stars in the heavens, In the palm of His hand, If I give all I possess , To the poor and the helpless, I'll still gain nothing, Without love… Love's patient, True love is always kind, Love does not envy, Never brags, it's never proud, Slow to wrath, it keeps no records of wrongs against friends, Love forgives… It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” (1 Corinthians 13:1-5,7)
“If the world hates you, remember that it hated Me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.” John 15:18-19
"The world is not respectable; it is mortal, tormented, confused, deluded forever; but it is shot through with beauty, with love, with glints of courage and laughter; and in these the spirit blooms..." ~ George Santayana

i was just curious :) well g'nite i'll get in touch, if that's okay...

JMThe-one GOLD said...
JMThe-one GOLD, Enfield, Connecticut

C. S. Lewis

Same time as Michigan. 

I'll make one just for you lol i'll get back to you on that :) question, what time is it where you are?

JMThe-one GOLD said...
JMThe-one GOLD, Enfield, Connecticut

C. S. Lewis

Yeah I guess. lol. Let me know what you wanna do then. 

I love this, I can completely relate! I totally wish that i could get your contact info, hope that's not creepy :/ you just seem really down to earth, which is really cool :)