Shut up, Camry | Teen Ink

Shut up, Camry

November 2, 2007
By Anonymous

“Zip and zoom. Ride a broom. See your shadow on the opulent moon. But never, never will there be a groom.”

I pulled my pillow tightly over my ears, trying to block out the endless rhyming.

“Shut up Camry!” I yelled.

“A penny for one, a nickel for two. Yet, I will always be richer than you.”

“Shut up!” I repeated.

“When you eat a cabbage sprout, all the day you’re filled with doubt!”

“That’s it!” I shrieked.

I jumped out of bed, sending my pillow and covers flying all over the place. However, I tripped on my shoes that I had stupidly left by the bed and fell on my face.

“Silly, silly. Willy nilly.”

I slowly stood up and regained what little composure I could. Then, I leaned over to the nearby wall and blindly searched for the light switch in the darkness. Finally, my hand hit something and the room filled with a bright and warm light.

“One, two, three, four, you hit your head and shut the door.”

“That’s it!” I yelled.

I ran over to a large white mass at the other side of the room. I pulled on it to reveal a great birdcage. And, inside was a rather large green and blue parrot.

“This is the last time I let my brother trick me into letting you sleep in my room.” I told the bird.

Camry cocked his head to one side.

“Cheese and bees go well with fleas.”

“Argh!” I shrieked. “Where do you come up with this stuff? Really, I don’t care if you get lonely when Kevin is at a friend’s house. I don’t think your happiness should jeopardize my sleep!”

Camry nodded.

“Yes it should, yes it should.”

“Yeah, you always make sense when I say you shouldn’t be happy, don’t you? Well, this is the last time I will ever hear from you!”

I picked up the birdcage and began to lug it to my bedroom door. Camry, of course, began to flutter around in his cage angrily.

However, I ignored him, and with great effort, was able to get the door open without dropping him.

The hall was dark, but the light from my room lighted it enough so I could tell if anything was blocking my way.

“Come on Camry.” I said.

Camry squawked as I began walking towards my brother’s room. Luckily, his door was slightly cracked open and all I had to do was push it.

I used my elbow to switch on the light, and spotted the small table that normally held Camry’s cage. Immediately, I strode over there and set the cage down.

“There you go. Nice and cozy in your real home.” I said with a smile.

Camry stopped fluttering, knowing he had been defeated and sat idly on his perch.

“Good birdie.” I said.

I turned to leave when I noticed that Kevin’s covers had a large lump under them. Curiously, walked over and pulled them down. And, there was Kevin.

“Kevin!?” I yelled.

Kevin shot up into a sitting position.

“Who? What? Where? How?” He stuttered.

He looked at me and his eyes widened. I glared at him and out my hands on my hips.

“Aren’t you supposed to be sleeping over at a friend’s house?” I asked.

“I came home early.” Kevin answered.

“Then why didn’t you take your stupid bird back? You know I can’t sleep with him in my room.” I interrogated.

“I can’t sleep with him in my room either.” Kevin said.

“A bag of tricks and a head full of smarts. He got it all, and now you’re tart!”

“Shut up Camry!”