The Fearful, Thunderous Night | Teen Ink

The Fearful, Thunderous Night

November 5, 2007
By danie2727 BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon
danie2727 BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Thump “What is that annoying sound?” I thought. Another Thump, I sighed "Looks like I’m going to have to check it out.” The middle of the night, the moon; still full. Glowing with bright crystals all around it. Shining against the dark blue sky, seeming to have their own world; a peaceful world. One where you didn’t have to get up while the moon was still in the middle of the sky!
I thrust the soft, beige blanket off of my lap and quietly shoved my frozen toes into my slippers. I quickly threw my fuzzy, blue bathrobe over my back and shoulders. Then, tightening the ties around my waist and set of down the dark, long hallway.
Shuffling down the long, dark hallway I quietly closed the back door so as to not wake Conner, my little, 3-year-old, toddling brother. The minute I closed the screen door all I could hear was the pitter-patter of rain. Suddenly I heard the strange crackling of wood. I gasped as I turned the corner and saw a giant oak tree that had been hit by lightning and burst into flame like so many others on the ground. I ran, my panic gave me a energy boost I could never normally have. I whistled as loud as I could, now in front of the driveway my old cat Cleo escorted by Carra, a young, female Corgi, and Luke, an old German Shepard rescue dog. Luke only stayed long enough to know that I saw him before running upstairs to get Conner.
I picked up Cleo and told Trish to come with me so that we could get help from a neighbor. We found Mr. Clark and he helped us put out the fire after we made sure that Conner and Luke were safely out. Luke came out with Conner on his back then ran to the fire station 2 blocks away to get help. After the fire we had no money, no home and no food. I was depressed but ready for what came next.