Last Leaf on the Tree | Teen Ink

Last Leaf on the Tree

By Riley141 GOLD, Yale, Michigan
Riley141 GOLD, Yale, Michigan

" Always do right. This will gratifiy some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

The sky has just darkened. The wind was cold and stiff against my numb, brittle, leafy skin. I let the wind blow me in many directions. And then I remember one of my greatest worries, that has been confirmed. The winter is coming. And I knew that some of my friends were gone. But I was hoping it was just because they wanted to.

I almost felt frost bitten. The air was crisp and all of the leaves fell quiet. Most were asleep. Goose Bumps rose on my skin and I shivered. I saw more and more leaves fall even in their sleep. I didn't feel good about it but I was proud that I hadn't fell. It also scared me that I could be one of them.

The week after some of the first leaves fell we all started turning colors. I was a dull red in the middle and bright orange on the ends. The wind felt like what humans would call "hurricane" winds. I'm lonely and nervous. I don't want to go like the others. There is only a dozen of leafs left. But, I'm mostly scared of what will happen when I'm finally gone.
*********

I'm the last leaf on the tree now. I'm scared and cold. But most of all lonely. The air is brisk, I hope this doesn't go on for long. While the others were falling the seemed peaceful. But I am filled with anguish to know what it' like.
*********

I'm shaking vigorously now. I'm about to snap. I can feel it in my core. This terrifies me. There was a large gust of wind and another and another. And I could feel the fibers of my stem tare apart. And I fell twirling to the ground. I closed my eyes. The ground was solid and cold. But I fell asleep any ways.

This is from the point of veiw of a leaf...somthing new.