Track Meet | Teen Ink

Track Meet

By Nadds_67 SILVER, Rochester, New York
Nadds_67 SILVER, Rochester, New York

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding,in all your ways submit to him, and He will make your paths straight"- Proverbs 3:5-6

I wait patiently in my lane ready to start running my two mile in the track meet; before the gun is even shot I already have butterflies in my stomach, fluttering nervously which makes me even more nervous, I try to push this nervousness away but it keeps coming back like a deadly sickness, it almost paralyzes my body I feel as though I am turning into stone not able to move, I try to inhale more oxygen but nothing works, this nervousness makes me lose my concentration, I get frustrated but think it foolish and calm down.

The referee blows the whistle for us to jog lightly to the starting line my heart almost stopped, I tell myself to get a grip and calm down the race will be over sooner or later but running eight laps around the track seems like it might take a while longer than I thought, I jog up to the starting line my legs were anticipating the start I look at my competitors one is from my own team another is from Athena they all wish us good luck I watch my team cheer us on I feel very grateful and prideful that I have a supporting team.

The referee shoots the gun and we are off at first I can’t concentrate but then I think about my time from my last meet which was seventeen minutes and thirty-two seconds I was focusing on that time for a while trying to figure out ways in which I would be able to beat it; at the fifth lap I gain speed my teammates cheer me but I only hear my heart beating, my quick short breaths, the cool breeze against my body, and my feet pounding on the hard, rubber track, I shift my concentration to my footsteps then my speed then my breathing then my speed and back and forth I can’t concentrate. Only three more laps to go my pace quickens, two laps, one lap, at the last curve of the last lap I start to sprint, I sprint with all my might; cheers from every corner are like the roar of a rollercoaster, twenty feet, ten feet, five feet, zero feet I run past the finish line exhausted and happy; I came in third place! And I beat my time, fourteen minutes and thirty-one seconds. What a track meet! I have another track meet next weekend and already I start getting that same feeling of nervousness.