Finding the Real Jace | Teen Ink

Finding the Real Jace

August 14, 2012
By Wolfventures GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Wolfventures GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
15 articles 9 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stay gold, Ponyboy


I’m standing on the porch, waiting for my brother to come home. When he comes home, he’s always crabby. One time I asked a question and he said, “It’s none of your business!” then he punched me and broke my nose. I’ve never asked him another question since.

Today I’m hoping it will be different between us. He’s coming home from the hospital. He got in a fight and the guy shot him in the lung. He was in a coma for two months.

I can see the car coming around the corner. When it pulls into the driveway, I can see Jace through the windshield. He doesn’t look too happy. I go inside and to my room.
I hear the car door slamming shut and the front door opening and slamming shut. Dad comes in my room a few minutes later and says, “Come see your brother.” I get up and walk out of my room and downstairs. I see Jace on the couch in the living room. I unwillingly walk to him. “Hi.” I say when I’m next to him. “Hey! How are you?” I’m just staring at him thinking he’s lost his mind. “Did you hit your head in the fight?” I ask him. “No” he smiles again. “Stop smiling!” his smile goes away. WOW! He would have usually said, “Make me!” Jace has never been this nice to me. Why is he so nice now? Yep. He’s completely lost his mind. “Jace, I think your mind went on vacation.” I say. He looks at me oddly for a second, then says, “What are you talking’ about?”

“You used to never be nice to me. Why are you so nice now?” Jace shrugs his shoulders and says, :I guess the fight made me realize what I was doing to you. I don’t wanna get mad at you like that guy was with me and end up shooting you.” I stood there staring at him; my mind is trying to process the words Jace had just said. Then everything clicks. My eyes fill with tears and I start crying. Then I hear myself saying, “I love you, Jace. Please stay like this.” I go and sit on the couch next to him. Jace wraps his arms around me and says, “I love you too. I will stay like this, I promise.”