Forever | Teen Ink

Forever

July 14, 2008
By sweetpea04 BRONZE, -, Other
sweetpea04 BRONZE, -, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I could see him sitting across the room. How long had it been since I had last saw him? Five years at least. I really didn’t know. I had been sixteen when I had left home, without saying good bye to anyone. Not even him, the person who was supposed to be the love of her life.

But now he was sitting just a few tables away. Would he recognize me? After seven years how much have I changed? It could be that much, could it? I was no longer that short, skinny girl that he had dated. I had grown, in many different ways. Now I was taller and had more curves, and was emotionally ready for anything.

Slowly I got up. I just couldn’t take it anymore, this could be the last time they would ever see him, and have a chance to explain herself. She couldn’t back down now.

Halfway there.

Why does everyone keep looking at me? Should I just turn around and not talk to him? No I can’t I have to do this.

I’m getting closer.

Oh my gawd! I can’t do this. He is going to hate me for leaving the way that I had. He just couldn’t have understood why she had left. I just could live the way I had with my alcoholic mother and abusive stepfather. I just couldn’t tell him when I was younger. All the things that my Step-dad had done to me, it was just so embarrassing.

I CAN”T DO THIS!

“I would like a Mocha Latte, please, large. Thanks.” Great he thinks I’m his waitress.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t work here, I actually just came over to say Hello, and its been a long time since we last saw each other,” This is just wonderful. First he thought that I was his waitress and now he is staring at me like I’m some sort of freak or something. How can anything be more intimidating then that?

“I’m very sorry, but I can’t seem to remember you.”

“It’s me Charlie. Aly.”

“Aly?” And he still doesn’t remember me. I feel like crawling under a rock and hiding, “You mean my best friend Alyson? Or well my ex-girlfriend? The girl who I tell her I love her and then the next day she is missing, never to be heard from again?” Well I guess he does know who I am.

I can’t cry here it’s not the time or place. Just take a deep breath and count to three. One, two, three. All good, for now. I should have told him that night like I had planned. But everything was bad timing. But I just couldn’t once those three small words left his mouth.

“Why did you do it Aly? Were you scared of me? Of us?”

“No, not at all. Me leaving had nothing to do with you. I left because of him, and all the pain he had put me through. I just couldn’t take it anymore. You wouldn’t have understood.”

“You know I would’ve have helped you Aly, I always will.”

“I know.” His eyes told me something was bothering him. Something that I had done and it was hurtful.

“I still Love you, you know.”

“I Love you too!”

“But you’re too late Aly. Good-bye.” My tears wouldn’t stop now. I looked down at the napkin that he had set on the table in front of me before he left. On it was written;

IF YOU EVER NEED TO TALK I’M HERE
I ALWAYS WILL BE
Charlie
XOXO



This told me, that I wasn’t too late. It was the beginning of something that I had thought was finished forever.