The Dream | Teen Ink

The Dream

By LouisianaGirl GOLD, Covington, Louisiana
LouisianaGirl GOLD, Covington, Louisiana

"When you were born, you were crying
And everyone around you was smiling.
Live your life so that when you die,
You're the one who is smiling
And everyone around you is crying."

I'm in a different place. I have no clue what's going on. I'm afraid to open my eyes. I can feel it, the place I'm in. I've never been here before. If I open my eyes, then it becomes real. I'll really be lost, and I really won't be home. I can't remember where I was before I came here, and I barely remember who I am. I have to hold onto that! My name is Samantha. My name is Samantha. I'm Sam..... These are my thoughts. Until.... I just heard something. Rustling. Someone's close by. They're getting closer. I open my eyes.. slowly, one at a time. It's a person. She doesn't look threatening, but I take ease. She's next to me now, about to speak.

"Hi, are you okay? I saw you fall from the sky! Are you hurt? Do you need any help?"

I guess I should find the courage to answer her. But she only made more questions form. Fall out of the sky? Is she high? Although that would explain the throbbing in my backside. And why my whole back is sore. Also why I had that strange feeling that you've been falling. Like when you're asleep and you dream that your falling but you wake up before you hit the ground.. I look to the side, I'm propped up against a rock, on the ground. The only thing I can think to say in response is, "Did you say I fell out of the sky?"

"Yes. I was riding my horse with Charming", as she said this, she motioned behind her with her hand, my eyes followed to a guy wearing tights, standing by two horses. She was still talking, "and we noticed you plummeting. We raced as fast as we could to find you. Are you hurt? Can I help you in any way?"

"Why was I falling out of the sky? Who're you? And who's that?", I motion with my chin towards this 'Charming' guy, "and could you help me get up?"

"Sure. Charming, can you come help me?"
As they were helping me stand I realized she still hadn't told me who she was. So I asked again, "What did you say your name was?"

"I didn't. But it's Snow White. This is my husband, Prince Charming. What's your name?"
Snow White? Prince Charming? Is she kidding me? This is obviously some kind of joke. My name is Samantha. It might help if I said that out loud.. "My name is Samantha. Sam."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Samantha." 'Charming' extended his hand to mine. Okaay, I've never shaken a prince's hand before.

HA! As if he's actually a prince. It's probably one of your friends playing a prank on you. Find out who! My thoughts. I know this isn't real. So I shake his hand, then ask, "The pleasure is all mine." I smirk, and go on, "But would you be so kind as to tell me who you REALLY are and who put you up to this? Why are you dressed in that ridiculous costume, why did you kidnap me, and why would you go along with such a ridiculous prank?"

He had a look of udder confusion on his face. Nice poker face. Before he could answer, I pushed between them and stormed off down the path.

"WAIT!" called Snow White. "You must have hit your head, you can't wander off by yourself! At least come with us and rest a while before setting off!" She sounded desperate, but I didn't look back.

It felt as if I had been walking for weeks when finally I came to a town. I saw a huge castle. It looked like Cinderella's castle. It was breath-taking!! Maybe I walked to Ireland. There's castles in Ireland, right? Now the next question, how'd I get to Ireland? If that's where I'm at.. My head is throbbing. Maybe I did hit it... Or maybe it's the confusion. Next thing I know, I'm in the castle. Do I keep blacking out? I need to see a doctor...

I look around me. I think I'm in the ballroom... This place is more amazing inside than it is from the outside. I'm in awe. My eyes meet those of some girl. Again, she's wearing some kind of princess like dress. It's terrible. Poofy, with ruffles. These people need to look at a fashion magazine. Suddenly she's talking to me.

"Hi. Uhmm, I don't mean to be rude, but how did you get past my guards and into my castle?"

Once again, raising more questions than answers. Well, mother always said honesty was the best policy, "I am so sorry. I didn't realize I was intruding. I honestly have no clue how I got in. I was walking through the woods and saw the town and the castle. I just kept walking through the town, and was looking, in awe at your castle. I thought about how beautiful it was and then next thing I know, I'm in here, and now we're having this conversation."

She was wary. I don't blame her, I would be too if some random person appeared in my castle. Assuming I had a castle... sigh. She looked me over and asked, "So why were you wandering through the woods?"
Of all things she could say, why ask me that? Here goes nothing, maybe she can help, "I should start from the beginning. It's a long story, so get ready." She sat down and offered me a seat. Huh, must be used to long stories. I continued, "I don't know where I was before my story begins, but it starts with me on the ground. My eyes were closed and I knew I was somewhere that I had never been before. It smelled different, it felt different, the air wasn't the same, and I knew something was off.." I went on to tell her the whole story, and she listened patiently, nodding here and there.

She was a great listener. She never said a word, until the end when she asked, "So you met Snow White? She offered to let you stay with her?"

"Yes, why?"

She responded, "Snow is one of my closest friends. We have a lot in common. And she has the best judgment of everyone I know. Aside from Charming of course. And she must have trusted you if she invited you to stay with her."

"Oh.", was all I could think to say.. So she had trusted me. I guess that's a good thing. But that doesn't help me very much. I look up and notice this girl looking at me. I still don't know her name, and I'm afraid to ask. I swallow that fear, "I'm Samantha by the way. Everyone calls me Sam though. What's your name?"

"Cinderella."

You have got to be kidding me. What is wrong with these people?! I'll play nice though.. "Okay, that's a pretty name. It's nice to meet you Cinderella."

"The pleasure is mine.", she said. I mentally scoffed. Way to play up the role, "Cindy". But Cinderella continued to talk, "But I am curious. Why were you falling from the sky? I know you don't know the answer.. I just tend to think aloud." She continued this thought process for what seemed like forever. That made me wonder, how long have I been here? And stopping to think, I remembered my family. I hadn't thought about them since I opened my eyes and met Snow White. Now I have an empty feeling in the pit of my stomach. I long for my mom, and dad, but most of all for my brother. And strangely enough, I hear his voice. It's muffled at first, and I don't know what he's saying because Cinderella is still talking over him. I don't even know what she's rambling on about at this point. His voice is growing louder. I know I'm going crazy now... Why would I be hearing Charlie's voice? And why does it sound like he's a giant, looking down into the castle as if I'm a doll in a doll house? It sounds odd. I know Charlie is taller than me, but not by that much!

I hear his voice still, but it's louder now, more so than Cinderella's. I can make out what he's saying now as well. "SAMANTHA!" He sounds mad.. "Sam, get up!!! We're gonna be late!"

I feel something squishy hit my head and I open my eyes. When did I close them? Wait a second! I look around. I'm in my room! When did I get back? I sit up and realize I'm in my bed. Was that all a dream?